Musicological Documents

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

BKhon

Musicological Documents

Post by BKhon »

IMSLP is clearly growing as we now offer recordings, historical performances, and more. I think a great addition to IMSLP would be to post documents such as historical letters (e.g. the letters sent between Brahms and Clara Schumann), reviews of premiers (e.g. Beethoven symphonies), and other "musicological documents" that are in the public domain.

While we do have a few letters and historic documents in our archive, I think we should encourage the submission of these types of items in order to improve our collection. They are both a great reference tool for musicologists, and entertaining for normal users to read.

What does everyone think?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Musicological Documents

Post by vinteuil »

Sure, and even books like Beethoveniana (the first edition of which I had the delight of being able to use for about month recently)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

It's a great book! Now, would the book go under category Beethoven, or make a category for the author Gustav Nottebohm? I assume it would go under the author Gustav Nottebohm, rather than under category Beethoven. The problem is that if someone were looking for books about Beethoven on IMSLP, they might go looking under the category Beethoven. Unless of course we can tag the file for the book or something, so it's known to the general populace of IMSLP. What is standard practice? There can be an internal link on Beethoven's category page (making a new category in the 'see also' space on the composers page?) perhaps. What do you think? Or is there something simpler I'm just not aware of right now for some reason?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

BKhon wrote:It's a great book! Now, would the book go under category Beethoven, or make a category for the author Gustav Nottebohm? I assume it would go under the author Gustav Nottebohm, rather than under category Beethoven. The problem is that if someone were looking for books about Beethoven on IMSLP, they might go looking under the category Beethoven. Unless of course we can tag the file for the book or something, so it's known to the general populace of IMSLP. What is standard practice? There can be an internal link on Beethoven's category page (making a new category in the 'see also' space on the composers page?) perhaps. What do you think? Or is there something simpler I'm just not aware of right now for some reason?
It would be under Nottebohm; since they are mainly sketches of Beethoven's, we could add his Category to the page manually so that it would show up under Beethoven.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"