Finding works of a particular instrumentation

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

bankcello
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Finding works of a particular instrumentation

Post by bankcello »

I used to be able to find works of a particular instrumentation. So I could look for quartets for 2 violins, 'cello and piano, or any other combination. This ability seems to have been eliminated. May it be brought back?

It was very useful.
BKhon

Re: Finding works of a particular instrumentation

Post by BKhon »

We still have the ability to search by instrumentation. I agree, it is handy (though far from completed):

http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:View_Genres

BKhon
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Finding works of a particular instrumentation

Post by steltz »

When you get to the page that BKhon's link takes you to, click on "For 4 players". It's further down the page under "Instrumentation".

On that page, click on the Category Walker (near top of page). On this page you can scroll through all sorts of combinations. Quartets happen to be right at the top of the list, but if you look further down, you will see actual instrument combinations, which will be more useful to you.

Unfortunately we don't have any 2 violin/cello/piano pieces in the category walker* at the moment, but you mentioned other combinations, so hopefully you can find something you can use.

*What is searchable by this method is dictated by whether the piece has been "tagged" yet. There is always a time lag between uploading a piece and getting it tagged, mostly because the librarians have a long list of things to work through. So there might be a recent upload for 2 violins, cello, piano that would only be found if you already knew the title or composer and could search that way. As the backlog clears, the tagging will be done quicker.

Hope this helps.
bsteltz