(List of) Lists of templates?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Miwarre
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

(List of) Lists of templates?

Post by Miwarre »

Often it is useful to have a list of the templates of one kind which are already available. Some lists already exist and are (relatively) easy to reach: templates for copyright status, templates of instrument played...

Some lists exists but are almost impossible to find: for instance the list of the templates for libraries (like {{BNF}} for instance); I know it exists because I found it once almost by chance, but I have not been able to locate it again.

Some lists possibly do not exist, for instance, I discovered the existence of the {{FE}} template while looking at the source of someone else's contribution, but I did not find it listed anywhere.

Am I right or am I missing something?

In the first case, would it be possible to create lists for all (most of? some of?) the unlisted templates and maybe a list of lists to add to http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Sitemap or to http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:List_of_Tem ... Categories?

Thanks,

M.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: (List of) Lists of templates?

Post by KGill »

Wow, I didn't even know about that last page. Yes, it would be excellent to update it, for templates at least. (FYI, you can find the external library templates category from here, which is linked to elsewhere.) The sitemap is also sadly out of date...
Miwarre

Post by Miwarre »

This was quick!

Thank you!

M.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Let’s not have a manually updated list if at all possible: templates should be categorised using a formula like

<noinclude>[Category:Library templates]</noinclude>

or

<noinclude>[Category:General templates]</noinclude>

which ensures the resulting Category isn’t included on every page citing the template – only the template itself is added to the category.

The IMSLP page should then link to the template category to show all of the items available (I’m sure we have quite a number of mini templates for libraries, and the Sibley unique URL handles).

The <noinclude> tag can also be used to include extra information on how to use the template, if it isn’t immediately obvious!

An example of this is the composition navigation boxes, which at the least should always have the following included somewhere: <noinclude>[Category:Work Navigation Boxes]</noinclude>

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)
Miwarre

Post by Miwarre »

Thanks for the reply. I have to say I understand very little of it, but I'm sure other will be more familiar with the topic.

A doubt: does this mean someone has to go through all template sources to add the relevant categorization lines by hand? If yes, does not this mean a list of *all* templates is needed to start with? Isn't the whole issue circular?

(Given appropriate instructions, I would be willing to help...)

Thanks,

M.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

It wouldn't have to be one single concerted effort - if someone came across a template that hadn't already been added to a category, s/he could just add it. I started adding to a category system here; does it look OK?
[EDIT] Well, I guess I ended up making it into a single concerted effort :wink:
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

That’s a good start you’ve made K.

PML
--
PML (talk)
vinteuil