IRC

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

BKhon

IRC

Post by BKhon »

A stupid idea, but I've seen other websites using mediawiki software actually have a community chat-room (IRC). Has the idea ever been considered on IMSLP? Live discussions about music!
imslp
Site Admin

Re: IRC

Post by imslp »

There indeed used to be an IRC chan for IMSLP several years ago. I was the only one sitting in it for several months though (well... Peter and Leonard showed up occasionally). If someone would be willing to sit in the IRC chan with me we can start a new one I suppose.
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

Now that there are more users, maybe people will show interest. In the worst care possible, at there would at least be two people sitting in on the IRC ;)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Any server preference?
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

Not particularly. I'm sure someone who has more experience with the servers would have a better idea (such are yourself) :). Probably the Canadian Server.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Very very few people host their own IRC servers (though I did try to do this 6 years ago with a Pentium 120Mhz! Not sure how many people still remember those things). Since IRC is inherently multi-channel, hosting a server for a single channel would be a waste.

If you don't have a preference we can go back to #classicalmusic @ irc.rizon.net. Perhaps we should register #imslp on Rizon as well. This might take a while for me to set up because I'm currently in the middle of a pretty big deal related to IMSLP.

However, please do feel free to go ahead and set it up if you want.