Piae Cantiones incomplete

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

EmqU
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Piae Cantiones incomplete

Post by EmqU »

Hallo,

I'm very happy to finally find a copy of the mysterious 'Piae Cantiones' on your site.
However, looking into it, I noticed that the last page of the pdf can impossibly be the final page of the book since the music line, and the text setting as well, indicate that the piece does continue on the next page(s).

So I would be even happier, if the missing part could be completed.

By the way: I suspect there is something to do yet in the categorisation, because the book cannot be found through the usual indexes ('Anonymous' or even the 'Search' feature).

Greetings,
EmqU
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Piae Cantiones incomplete

Post by pml »

The error stems from the original site that obtained the facsimiles:
Hier findet ihr die kompletten Facsimiles der finnischen Liedersammlung "Piae Cantiones", die im 16. Jahrhundert von einem Studenten zusammgetragen wurde. Es sind dabei einstimmige sowie auch mehrstimmige Stücke zu finden, wobei die Stimmen aber einzeln notiert sind. Die Stücke sind in der "weissen Mensuralnotation" notiert. Die Dateien sind im PDF 5.0 Format gespeichert und können mit dem aktuellen Acrobat Reader geöffnet werden.
Despite the supposed note that the facsimile is complete, the last page listed on their table of contents has a custos marking to indicate the completion of the text on the next page, which of course is missing. The best I could find in Worldcat indicated that the original publication was in the vicinity of 100 leaves (= 200 pp.), so the version uploaded is just over half complete.

Cheers, Philip

EDITED TO ADD: In my researches I discovered a newly typeset edition which contains 72 of the 74 items from the 1582 edition of Piæ Cantiones, so if time allows I’ll drop the editor an e-mail to ask if he would be so good as to allow his editions to be hosted here and at CPDL. I've made a number of additions to the IMSLP page including a list of contents.

I also had no difficulty searching for “Piae Cantiones”, so the lack of a result is presumably owing to caching?

ETA part II: The editor of the new typeset is willing to upload his work, which we’ll try to add shortly — all the pieces, and a few added to the collection when reprinted in 1625.
--
PML (talk)
EmqU

Re: Piae Cantiones incomplete

Post by EmqU »

Thank you very much for the quick and adequate response !!

Greetings,
EmqU