Category Walker More Prominent

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

arkiados
notabot: 42
notabot2: Bot

Category Walker More Prominent

Post by arkiados »

I would like a link on the main page for the category walker.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot2: Human

Re: Category Walker More Prominent

Post by KGill »

There is basically already one in the sidebar - http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:View_Genres. Not directly to the CW, but takes you to a page that already breaks things down somewhat and links to it. Putting a link directly to the CW via Category:Scores would probably be a larger drain on the server (or so I hear), and it really wouldn't be any more useful than that page (harder to navigate, etc.).
Emil
regular poster

Re: Category Walker problem

Post by Emil »

I found the category walker difficult to use.

For example:
To find piano trios I do:

view genres
trios
piano trios

However, this does not distinguish between p v vc trios and p v va trios

But there is an index for works for va va p and works for v vc p

So far to get at works for va va p I have to go to a known example (Eg R Fuchs) and click on the bottom of the page.
This takes me to the index of va va p works.

Have I made a mistake , or is there a problem?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Where did you find the "Piano Trio" category? No such category seems to exist to me.

Also, all manner of combinations of 3 instruments can be found in the Instrumentation section of IMSLP:View Genres.
Emil
regular poster

Post by Emil »

imslp wrote: by imslp » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:03 pm
Where did you find the "Piano Trio" category? No such category seems to exist to me.

Also, all manner of combinations of 3 instruments can be found in the Instrumentation section of IMSLP:View Genres
Thank you for the hint.

I have now worked out how to get to category page . It is by clicking on [walk] ,surely a fairly cryptic command, on the genres page.

There is not a specific piano trios category. It is one of the things that comes up when you choose "for 3 instruments" in genres.

There is also no piano trios category in "chamber-instrumental" in category.

The problem seems to be that I haven't found a direct route to "category intersection" from the main page, but only by the roundabout route I described.

Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Hello Emil. The best way to find a list of piano trios is:

1) Click on 'Work genre' in the side menu
2) Scroll down to the 'instrumentation' section, where you'll find "For 3 players" in the list
3) Click on "[subgenres]" next to "For 3 players". There you will find a list of every combination of instruments for 3 players.
4) Click on "For violin, cello, piano" for a list of compositions for standard piano trio. Or "For violin, cello, piano (arr)" to see other works which have been arranged for piano trio

This way you can also see if there are scores for non-standard piano trios, like violin, viola and piano (which there are).

Hope this helps,

P.D.
Emil
regular poster

Post by Emil »

Davydov wrote:Hello Emil. The best way to find a list of piano trios is:

1) Click on 'Work genre' in the side menu
2) Scroll down to the 'instrumentation' section, where you'll find "For 3 players" in the list
3) Click on "[subgenres]" next to "For 3 players". There you will find a list of every combination of instruments for 3 players.
4) Click on "For violin, cello, piano" for a list of compositions for standard piano trio. Or "For violin, cello, piano (arr)" to see other works which have been arranged for piano trio

This way you can also see if there are scores for non-standard piano trios, like violin, viola and piano (which there are).

Hope this helps,

P.D.
Thank you for the instruction. I now understand "walk" and "subgenres".