FLAC/lossless recordings

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

andrewt
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

FLAC/lossless recordings

Post by andrewt »

I'm very happy to see some really nice recordings on IMSLP, most recently for example the Holberg Suite and Peer Gynt Suite for recorder ensemble (awesome!). I'd like to start downloading recordings like these (especially of complete works) and add them to my personal library on my computer, but I'm a little hesitant because most of my music is in FLAC and I definitely notice MP3 compression when I use a nice system. I think it would be great if IMSLP supported lossless formats like FLAC. IMO, it would make IMSLP more of a serious resource for recordings. Most of the classical download stores now support FLAC or WMA lossless. Is bandwidth limitation the only thing that would hold this up?
imslp
Site Admin

Re: FLAC/lossless recordings

Post by imslp »

IMSLP already supports FLAC; it is just not noted on the list.
andrewt
regular poster

Post by andrewt »

Sweet! Now to convince people to upload in FLAC...
andrewt
regular poster

Post by andrewt »

imslp wrote:IMSLP already supports FLAC; it is just not noted on the list.
Is that intentional? I personally would love to see maybe a notice or something saying FLAC is the preferred format for recordings (if it is) in order to encourage more FLAC uploads.
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

Playback support for FLAC in most mainstream hardware devices is variable, so higher-bitrate mp3 is probably the preferred option for maximum compatibility and interoperability, despite its obvious limitations compared to FLAC. Sorry to rain some flak on your parade.

Cheers, PML
--
PML (talk)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

andrewt wrote:
Is that intentional?
Not really... was just lazy ;)
andrewt
regular poster

Post by andrewt »

pml wrote:Playback support for FLAC in most mainstream hardware devices is variable, so higher-bitrate mp3 is probably the preferred option for maximum compatibility and interoperability, despite its obvious limitations compared to FLAC. Sorry to rain some flak on your parade.

Cheers, PML
You're right... wasn't thinking about those mac users... :D
andrewt
regular poster

Post by andrewt »

Thanks for the nice FLAC file of your Ballad for Saxophone! Excellent quality! Really nice piece too! (although I must say I like the slow part a little bit more...) BTW I saw the news piece about IMSLP on CBC--I now know how to pronounce your last name right--more like 1 syllable instead of 2 :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Thanks for the praise. I agree with you that the fast part in that recording feels anemic, and it was my fault for not directing the recording well. I have another recording by the same saxophonist that is much better and gives the listener a real sense of what the fast part is supposed to be. Unfortunately that recording is tied up due to copyright restrictions.