Some suggestions for improvements on IMSLP

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Starrmark
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Some suggestions for improvements on IMSLP

Post by Starrmark »

Here are several suggestions I offer to make the IMSLP website even more useful.

1. Lists of composers' names (with links to each composer's list of compositions) should also contain each composer's dates. I think this additional information would aid users immeasurably while browsing lists of composers' names. Yes, I know each composer's dates can already be found on the catalog pages devoted each composer's compositions. However, looking for each composer's dates on a separate page while browsing wastes a great deal of time.

2. When scanners post sets of parts for orchestral pieces (especially pieces for symphony orchestra that may include several dozen separate parts,) users should always be given the option of downloading the complete set of parts with one click. In many instances, parts are uploaded only separately (i.e. not in sets) -- and it takes forever to download them all separately. There's no problem with uploading separate parts -- but in all cases there should also be an option for a cumulative download.

3. My final suggestion might prove to be somewhat controversial. There are countless PD works for orchestra and ensembles now hosted on IMSLP without parts. However, in order for these works to be performed or recorded today, the first order of business for any orchestra, opera company or chamber ensemble is to locate a set of instrumental parts -- and then, either buy them, or rent them, or order them (if available free,) or copy them (legally.) Parts for many of these works are easily available for purchase or on rental from Luck's, Kalmus, Mapleson, etc., or from music publishers. But for a vast number of PD compositions on IMSLP (including operas and chamber music, as well as orchestral works,) sets of parts are either difficult or impossible to find.

Increasingly today, parts for individual works are the productions of small music typesetting companies, or orchestras (who purchased a set for a performance, or photocopied them legally, and now would like to rent out these materials.)

I suggest that IMSLP list on each work's webpage various sources for sets of parts (including rental companies, music publishers big and small, libraries and archives.) In other words, each page would contain a short list of links to sources for parts. Users of IMSLP could then make contact with the sources, making inquiries about prices, terms of rentals, condition, etc.

In addition to the considerable benefits this step would bring to musical organizations who use IMSLP, it might also bring to IMSLP some gratitude from music publishers. They might be able to rent sets of parts for countless obscure PD works long dormant in their archives (while users download the scores free on IMSLP.)

The information about availability and sources of parts for each score could be gathered gradually from IMSLP's users, through use of an online submission form. Contributors could list the sources, give an email contact and/or website, and specify whether the parts are available for purchase, for rental, or for free (postage only -- such as the Fleischer Collection.)

I have no doubt that the availability of this information in one central location (i.e. IMSLP) would have a profound effect on the repertoire performed today by orchestras, opera companies and chamber ensembles.

MS
jemiller226
regular poster

Re: Some suggestions for improvements on IMSLP

Post by jemiller226 »

Starrmark,

I'd like to see IMSLP host the parts, as many as possible. Basically anything that doesn't have a condensed score. It'd be an immense project, but one I intend to involve myself in eventually.
VictorEijkhout
forum adept

Post by VictorEijkhout »

Starrmark wrote:1. Lists of composers' names (with links to each composer's list of compositions) should also contain each composer's dates.
Agree. Werner Icking had this and I miss it on IMSLP.

Victor.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

VictorEijkhout wrote:
Starrmark wrote:1. Lists of composers' names (with links to each composer's list of compositions) should also contain each composer's dates.
Agree. Werner Icking had this and I miss it on IMSLP.
I imagine that due to the completely and utterly alien structures of WIMA and IMSLP it may have been easier to provide such a listing on WIMA; on IMSLP, the composer name list is actually a list of page names, so if you wanted to include dates in it, the sure way would be to move each composer category, including all of the works under it, to include dates. Needless to say, this is unlikely to happen - unless someone wants to have fun moving 6343 composer pages and 43617 work pages to fit a new standard which would arguably create a large amount of needless clutter too - it wouldn't provide any mechanism to sort by dates, and it would cause the displayed title of every single work page on the site to include the composer's dates, which would seem to be of dubious utility as they are conveniently stored in one easily accessible place already. No, therein lies the way to madness. :twisted: :)
The better way would be to figure out some sort of JavaScript or similar magic so that, say, hovering over a composer category link would provide a little tooltip with information on dates and so forth. Probably it wouldn't go any further without completely rewriting the MediaWiki software. (Incidentally, I recall proposing a couple times that this be implemented to provide 'previews' of work pages using the tagging system. Perhaps both could be tried? They certainly seem like they'd be of some use.)
heatherreichgott
regular poster

Post by heatherreichgott »

The tooltip idea for dates is a good one.
HTML 4 supports a "title" attribute of links, so no JavaScript needed.
There is still the problem of changing thousands of links though. And I'm a newbie with wiki syntax--is there a way to easily add a title attribute to a link in wiki, or could it be made part of a template (even better) ?
johnlandor

Post by johnlandor »

Is there any way I can find a score of a standard classic, download it and open it in a music-writing programme like Sibelius?

Yours ever hopeful...
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Yes, if it is a PDF that has attached typeset or XML file. You can save this file and import/open in Sibelius.