Concertantes spelling

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

pierre.chepelov
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Concertantes spelling

Post by pierre.chepelov »

(I'm not sure this is the right place to post - please move if needed.)

The file in work page "Concertante for Violin and Cello (Bohrer, Antoine)" contains both Duets that are in "Duo Concertante No.1 for Violin and Cello (Bohrer, Antoine)" and "Duo Concertante No.2 for Violin and Cello (Bohrer, Antoine)" − same music and engraving, different front pages and scans.
I was wondering how to solve this, was quite confused with the spellings of that type of pieces, then I looked to the Category:Concertantes page and thought that
− Assuming that "Concertante" is correct in English;
− and that "Concertant Duet(s)" or "Duo(s)" also;
− and maybe also (?) "Concertante Duet(s)" or "Duo(s)",
it is clear that in French (and most front pages of these pieces are in French)
− "Duo concertant" / "Duos concertants" (although "concertans" in early 19th c. spelling) are correct,
− and "Duo concertante" or "Duos concertantes" aren't (same with "Trios"). Is "Duo concertante" correct in Italian?
So, I was wondering how to make these spellings more consistent. Any advices?
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Concertantes spelling

Post by kalliwoda »

Actually, the works in question are the same original sibley scan, only the title page got modified in Generoso's uploads to fit his split-up of the original scan.

Re: concertans - concertant - concertants
There were a couple of related threads - the most recent one here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4935.

Originally the tag concertante was introduced to cover Sinfonia concertante as well as double and triple concertos, for soloists with orchestra. Late in the 19th century, the term was then also used for Duos or Trios with piano accompagnement, and correctly tagged as such.
- and then every piece that had concertan(t)s or similar in its title was tagged with the same, even as the use in the late 18th century did not imply for soloists with accompagnement. Rather it seems to imply a duo or trio for concert use rather than instructionary works to be played during lessons. To confuse this issue even more, the term concertan(t)s was quite liberally added or omitted in different early editions, and is rarely used in modern reissues.

The page for Antoine Bohrer shows actually quite drastically the problems with the current use of the term "concertante":
There are the Duos No.1 and 2 (Ir et 2d Duo concertant ... André Plate 4275), and furthermore 2 Duos for Violin and Cello (André Plate 4555). These last works have the original title without the addition concertant: "Deux duos pour violon et violoncello, ... 2me livre des duos", obviously a reference to the duos with Plate 4275. All four are Duos, and to drop the Duo from one volume and leave Concertante is plainly wrong (in my personal opinion quite "idiotic").

My preferred solution would be to have for all these works generally an english title without the term concertans, and then the complete original title under "Alternate work title". This way they could also be sorted by worktitle consistently under "D" for Duos or "T" for Trios (see the Rolla page as another bad example of inconsistent work titles).
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Concertantes spelling

Post by steltz »

I also believe this tag is being used too liberally. This whole groups needs a careful sift-through, and we need stricter guidelines on when we should be using it.
bsteltz