[BUG] Issues with composer template

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

[BUG] Issues with composer template

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Living composers: As mentioned in another thread, it would be nice to remove both the dash and the question mark from the dates of living composers.

CPDL link: Seems to be missing

External links: it would be nice if e.g. the Wikipedia composition list on the J.S. Bach page could be placed under "external links", instead of under "miscelaneous information". If some systematic changes in the wikicode are required, 5Y will be glad to help.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

For the CPDL link, it is actually a conscious choice on my part. The CPDL link was a left over from back when IMSLP was attempting to collaborate with CPDL, but since such a thing does not exist anymore, I thought it would be pointless to have a special place on the composer template for CPDL. Plus, its only used on one or two pages, which may as well be put under "Misc. Information" (if at all)... This all is just a part of my attempt at getting rid of everything unnecessary (a few other parser functions left over from back when the file/work/composer templates were wiki-templates were also removed).

But yes, do report such things, it may very well be a bug :)

Regarding external links, I have not written the documentation yet but such a feature is there: it is under |External Work Lists=. I'm not sure if you could automate the process though, but if you can that'd be great.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Pity about the CPDL story. I really don't get it, I was even offering them to do all the work for them back then. Oh, well...

Another thing: if I'm not mistaken about how noautotag is supposed to work, then it does not work. Did that make sense? I mean: should there be a copyright message on pages with <!--noautotag-->?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

This depends on the circumstances... the following two items may not be intuitive:

1. The tag MUST be at the very beginning of the page, or else it doesn't work
2. The tag being on composer pages actually doesn't disable the copyright tag on the composer page, but only on work pages. This is because the tag on the composer page is still correct regardless of whether the work pages are fine or not. To disable tags on composer pages, you will need to use the old |Birth Date= and |Death Date=, which will abort processing. (But this is not encouraged since the tag is correct)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Ah, then I was mistaken and everything is OK :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

I've cleaned up the external work lists links (manually, since there were not many) and some other stuff.

On my user page, there are currently two lists of pages that might need some more cleanup. The lists are based solely on formal criteria, so some of the listed pages are certainly OK as they are. For example, the Mozart page is probably fine, while on the Alkan page I'd rather move the MIDI link to a different section (but I don't know where - "Recordings" seems a bit off for computer generated files).

If anyone wants to take a look and post suggestions (or edit the pages themselves ;))...
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Great! I won't be able to work on this (need to write out the rather large amount of documentation for this upgrade), but maybe someone else can. I'm also thinking of opening a "Misc. Jobs" section of the forum so that people can put up various wiki maintenance jobs that other people who have the time might do.

As for the MIDIs... I'm not quite sure myself... put it in Misc. Information atm I'd suppose... is there many such pages?
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

One really tiny issue: when switching around first and last name, parenthesized expressions should probably come at the end. E.g., "Schubert, Franz (Dresden)" should become "Franz Schubert (Dresden)", rather than "Franz (Dresden) Schubert".
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hmm... I'm not sure this is fixable, just because parenthesis use varies between names... in the Schubert example it would be indicating the place the composer was at (and thus would make sense to put at the end of the name), but in other cases it may be alternate first names, in which case I think it'd make more sense to put in between the first and last names.

Anyone who has comments about this speak up! :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Looks like the only viable solution would be manual override...
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I guess so... that'd be rather ugly though :/ In any case since this is not a high priority bug I'll put it on the side for a while... hope you are fine with that :)