[BUG] Categorization

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Pax:Vobiscum

[BUG] Categorization

Post by Pax:Vobiscum »

Hi everyone. I'm a new user here, but have a lot of experience from Wikipedia. I just discovered IMSLP and think that it seems awesome. However the naming of the categories strikes me as odd:

Singular and plural are mixed (for example Category:Scores and Category:Books versus Category:Symphony and Category:Concerto)

My suggestion: Change all category names to plural. This is the way the larger wikis do it and makes more sense linguistically (at least to me).
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I agree, it is a bit odd.

I'm going to move this to the Feature Requests/Bugs Forum, because I think it would be met with a better reception there.

AW7
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Pax: What you are saying is very true, but unfortunately it is a massive pain to change all those pages to point to the correct category (we'd have to edit more than 8000 pages)... and I'm not too sure it is worth it. Plus, a plan is in the works to deprecate the categories in favor of a real library classification such as the LoC. Thanks for the report though :)

ArcticWind7: Good job moving the thread :) I'd also edit the first post and change the title to conform to the guidelines of this forum (with [BUG] at the beginning). Also feel free to correct any threads posted in this forum that have incorrect titles :)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Done, I'll correct the others now too.
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

I had placed a request elsewhere on the board concerning genres, without a response. Would it be better here?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I'd say yes :) Perhaps ArcticWind7 can move the topic. I'll respond once the topic is in this forum.
Pax:Vobiscum

Post by Pax:Vobiscum »

imslp wrote:Pax: What you are saying is very true, but unfortunately it is a massive pain to change all those pages to point to the correct category (we'd have to edit more than 8000 pages)... and I'm not too sure it is worth it. Plus, a plan is in the works to deprecate the categories in favor of a real library classification such as the LoC. Thanks for the report though :)
A bot could probably do it easily, assuming that there are people running bots here. But if everything is going to change soon, then no need to bother.