Allow the storage of other music formats

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

supradave
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Allow the storage of other music formats

Post by supradave »

It would be nice if there were a way to store other formats of music, like Lilypond, MusicXML, Finale, etc.
martinpackham

Re: Allow the storage of other music formats

Post by martinpackham »

I agree.
However, a provisional feature might be to allow links to files stored elsewhere in the network without loading the files into IMSLP. I have numerous Capella and musicXML files stored in my private home page and it would be great to let people click on a symbolic pointer to them. Maybe that can already be done but I just do not know how to do it? I am used to using the edit function of the Wiki scripts, I just need a one-line command to create the link.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

If you want to link to your own site, when uploading you can enter it into the Misc. Notes field in this format:

Code: Select all

[http://example.com Source files]
martinpackham

Post by martinpackham »

That worked, thanks for the advice. I have tried it out in Dittersdorf / Duetto for Viola and Violone and I will apply it to all my contributions.
I added the following to the Wiki script using the EDIT function:
|Misc. Notes=
Capella source:[http://www.martin-packham.de/dittersdor ... titur.capx]
musicXML:[http://www.martin-packham.de/dittersdor ... rtitur.xml]
So any authorised person could do this providing that they have a web server somewhere to store the files. I am happy (for now) to continue to use my private home page but perhaps some time in the future IMSLP could provide a server?
martinpackham

Post by martinpackham »

A small correction to the above, the entries are now:

[http://www.martin-packham.de/dittersdor ... titur.capx Capella source]
[http://www.martin-packham.de/dittersdor ... rtitur.xml musicXML]

which looks a little better.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

supradave wrote:It would be nice if there were a way to store other formats of music, like Lilypond, MusicXML, Finale, etc.
This has been discussed at length elsewhere, and the consensus has always been to use PDFs. They are readable by everyone, everywhere, and do not require proprietary software like a Finale file would.

Of course, PDFs are not easily editable. The solution to this is to attach the source file to the PDF before upload. I've done this for the handful of Lilypond scores I've submitted to IMSLP. If you want to edit the score, you download the PDF, extract the attached file, and begin editing. I have instructions on my user page of how to do this.

http://imslp.org/wiki/User:Haydenmuhl
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
martinpackham

Post by martinpackham »

I have tried this for Mengoli / 20 studies, No.1, original version. i am waiting for the updated PDF file to be accepted.
martinpackham

Post by martinpackham »

That worked well. I had to activate "Show Navigation Pane Buttons" in my browser (Firefox) when looking at the PDF content in order to see the attachments.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Generally when using the official Acrobat browser plug-in (or application), the attachments pane should be visible whenever an attachment is detected in a file. It makes it fairly obvious whenever someone has attached something to a PDF as it all but leaps off the virtual page once opened.
martinpackham

Post by martinpackham »

That certainly does not work for me with Acrobat Reader X version 10 in Firefox. I have to right click and then click on "Show Navigation Pane Buttons". I have checked through all the preferences options and have found nothing to change this behaviour.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Strange...Adobe must have changed this behavior with Acrobat X since with previous versions, they would pop right up.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

martinpackham wrote:That certainly does not work for me with Acrobat Reader X version 10 in Firefox. I have to right click and then click on "Show Navigation Pane Buttons". I have checked through all the preferences options and have found nothing to change this behaviour.
Perhaps the key words here are "in Firefox." What happens when you view the PDF in the stand alone version of Reader?
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
martinpackham

Post by martinpackham »

You are right, in the stand-alone version it works as expected.

I now have all files in Mengoli, 20 Studies set up with PDF attachments.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

The browser plug-in for Acrobat Professional 9 (and the reader) displays attachments by default if present. You can still always toggle the attachments pane manually, plus those PDFs on the wiki with attachments are usually noted as such in the Misc. Notes field.
martinpackham

Post by martinpackham »

I have sent a bug report to Acrobat. I hope that I am not making a fool of myself.