[BUG/FEAT]? "Use this form for files already uploaded&q

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

[BUG/FEAT]? "Use this form for files already uploaded&q

Post by Lyle Neff »

This may have been asked before, or there may be a FAQ that I don't know about, so please excuse my ignorance.

I was trying just now to upload a clearer version of a file to replace one that I had uploaded the other day (http://imslp.org/images/e/e9/Cui_Kav_00_russ1pv.pdf).

My attempt do this was prompted by a link on the single- and multiple-upload pages with the phrase "Use this form for files already uploaded," which implies that one can upload a revised version of a file. My attempt to use that resulted in a dead end.

Is this supposed to be a valid feature, and if so, what am I doing wrong? I'd like to replace the first three files for this work with better scans. (In addition, the form itself does not ask for the source directory/file to upload!)

Thanks in advance.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

This just involves uploading (replacing) the same file. You just have to use the upload page in the sidebar and upload to the same filename :)
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Thanks. I just successfully uploaded the better files.

But shouldn't the link in the phrase "Use this form for files already uploaded" be changed to the link in the upload page in the sidebar?

Also, after you've uploaded a file using the sidebar link, there's a warning saying that files should be 150KB or something like that -- shouldn't that be changed?

Thanks again.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

For the first question, the old page is actually used for files already uploaded (as in, you've uploaded a file using the upload function in the sidebar, and want to submit it to the page). I guess the wording is confusing ;)

For the second question, there is already a bug report about this, and I'm looking into it. 150KB is the Mediawiki default.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

One other question related to this: Since the sidebar upload function just asks for file to upload and filename to replace, does the management monitor this to make sure that the same piece and edition is involved, and especially that a disallowed piece isn't substituted instead?
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Sooner or later we should try to improve some aspects of file upload. For example, I believe that the upload link in the sidebar is the direct cause of a significant portion of the currently 700+ unused files on the IMSLP server. It would be good if at some point that link could be removed from there. Maybe I'll wait until a few other important things are completed, and then I'll open a brainstorming thread about this.....
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Lyle: The tag is reverted to "New" on re-upload, so *someone* is sure to check the file :)

Leonard: Yep... there's still some preparation work to be done before we can officially disable the wiki-provided upload page. Good thing is that I've with the upgrade made it so that it is very easy to add a upload feature to ANY special page, so it shouldn't be too hard :)

By the way, what do you think about me opening an IMSLP project on Sourceforge with the IMSLP code? I'm just worried that there will not be enough programmers, and doing it would be a waste of time (I'd just gzip the SVN repo if I want to distribute it).
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I had an additional problem yesterday when I was trying to upload that last of the files for Cui's Prisoner of the Caucasus (using dialup at home). First I tried to upload three (no. 18, 18a, 18b) on the multiple add page, and after some time, instead of "success," the system gave me a blank Add Files page. I went back and reduced the files to one, submitted, and got the same result.

Then I decided to restart my computer, and was able to upload files, one at a time. Maybe it was the time of day, or maybe it was background activities of my computer. :?:
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I would say that it is probably the dialup... because those files are not small (for dialup uploads), there may well be either timeouts during the transmission, or timeouts on the server itself. Generally dialup even need download managers for slightly large downloads (3MB+) due to the possibility of disconnecting, and uploads are worse (since the connection is not optimized for upload). Of course, technically if the dialup connection is good then there shouldn't be a problem, but in my experience (at least a few years ago) it is more the other way.

If you can't find a high speed connection to upload from, I would suggest uploading one file at a time... that is the only solution I can think of :/ Uploading more than 3MB at once has a rather high possibility of failure I believe...
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Well, it seems that the failure to finish uploading successfully has happened when I use dialup for either single-file or multiple-file uploads; the error results have been differently expressed.

However, this afternoon I managed to upload all 5 files for the vocal score of Cui's Mademoiselle Fifi, 4 of which were 3600-4600 KB, and all of them uploaded successfully after one try (using single-file upload). The difference might have been that I kept my computer's online connection active during each upload by accessing e-mail or some other website. Perhaps my dialup server needs some sort of external hand-holding while I upload to IMSLP. :P