Incorrectly listed works/post rejected

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

pljoseph
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Incorrectly listed works/post rejected

Post by pljoseph »

I made two posts to this forum earlier today: one concerning midi files, the other an FYI that works listed by under Jean Loeillet should in fact be listed under Jean-Baptiste (J.B.) Loeillet as this is the attribution on the scores themselves. The former was accepted and posted. The latter was rejected because of supposed "links to illegal or pirated software." The only link in this post was to the IMSLP page where the misclassification occurred.

I don't expect this to be posted, but I have been unable to figure out to contact anyone for details on the nature the illegal/pirated links. The post was a sincere effort to point out an error in the listing of a work. If indeed an illegal link somehow crept into the post, I would be happy if it were deleted, or at least pointed out to me so I could correct it and repost the item, since it was unintentional. For that matter anyone else is welcome to check the works listed under Jean Loeillet and post it themselves.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Incorrectly listed works/post rejected

Post by KGill »

I didn't see your earlier post, so I don't know why it may have been rejected, but which works did you mention? Also, you do realize that the two composers are different people with the same name, right?
John Loeillet ('London') - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Bapti ... _of_London
Jean Baptiste Loeillet ('Ghent') - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Bapti ... t_of_Ghent
Even accounting for that, are there still misattributions? Most of the scores are not really helpful in this respect, since many do not include 'of Ghent/London' and none of the dates they list seem to be correct.
pljoseph

Post by pljoseph »

Thanks for responding. Yes, I do realize they are different people. Although I don't recall which work I reffered to when I wrote the post, I subsequently noticed that most of the works listed under "Loeillet, Jean" are in fact inscribed, "J. B. Loeillet" on the scores themselves. See, for example, the first listing, the G minor cello sonata. I know there is some confusion surrounding the names (which also includes J.B. Lully), but I think there may be some mistakes here.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

This is a chronic problem with the various Loeillets -- John Loeillet was born Jean-Baptiste (the same name as his cousin). Since he settled in London, it was simpler for him to anglicize his name to John, and sometimes the surname was spelled "Lully" as well! He became known as "of London" and the cousin of the same name stayed in Ghent, so he was "de Gant".

Unfortunately, publishers who went by the birth names either published works by both cousins as Jean-Baptise Loeillet or J.B. Loeillet. As a result, modern musicians have a hard time distinguishing which is which, but a lot of scholarly work has been done in recent decades, so sources such as Grove should be able to help sort these out.

(Just to confuse things more, there was also a Jacques Loeillet.)
bsteltz
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

pljoseph wrote:The latter was rejected because of supposed "links to illegal or pirated software." The only link in this post was to the IMSLP page where the misclassification occurred.
I looked for some trace of the disapproved post into the board database, just to check whether there was any information that may have induced the moderator to disapprove it. Unfortunately it seems that nothing remains of a post after it is disapproved. The moderator who disapproved the post belongs to the most determined class of human beings: one of them was even able to virtually search among graves in cemeteries to determine the date of death of a composer :roll: . So, if your post did not contain any links to illegal or pirated software, I suppose it was just disapproved by mistake during a fit of moderator's over-determination :lol:

Max