[BUG]Uploading sound file #>1causes extra Synthesized/MIDI

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

reccmo
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

[BUG]Uploading sound file #>1causes extra Synthesized/MIDI

Post by reccmo »

When I add another sound file to a work page containing 1 sound file beforehand I almost always end up with an additional section level 3 section, Synthesized/MIDI. This happens when I activate the WIMA button below an existing sound file.
imslp
Site Admin

Re: [BUG]Uploading sound file #>1causes extra Synthesized/MI

Post by imslp »

I believe this is the intended result. As long as it doesn't affect the look of the page it should not be considered a bug in this case.

By the way, I have enabled ZIP uploading for part source files. However, ZIP uploading at this time is ONLY permitted by WIMA project members. Also, it would be great if you could publicly post the types of files that will be included in the ZIP files in this thread, before you start uploading them.

Tell me if you have any questions!
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

imslp wrote:I believe this is the intended result. As long as it doesn't affect the look of the page it should not be considered a bug in this case.
If does affect the look of the page, as you'll notice on the work page for Das Wohltemperierte Klavier. A few minutes ago I transferred a WIMA engraving of Prelude and Fugue No. 15 in G Major. In contrast to my previous transfers I've omitted post editing the page after having transferred the the MIDI file. The result is an extra tab 'Synthesized/MIDI-DUPLICATE-tab4'
imslp wrote:By the way, I have enabled ZIP uploading for part source files. However, ZIP uploading at this time is ONLY permitted by WIMA project members. Also, it would be great if you could publicly post the types of files that will be included in the ZIP files in this thread, before you start uploading them.

Tell me if you have any questions!
I've started a list of WIMA notation formats on the WIMA server. It is linked in WIMA's help page How to upload WIMA scores to IMSLP. I've filled the list by looking at the music notation web site Musical notation codes and picked out the formats I know are represented in WIMA. Not all notation formats used in WIMA are listed on this site. That is for example true for Cubase used for engraving BWV 866 mentioned above. I'll add such formats to the WIMA list when I encounter them.

Said in other words: IMSLP needs to be open minded concerning uploaded engraving formats. It's almost guaranteed that not all used formats are on the WIMA server list.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Re the now-enabled ZIP feature - we've already had people abuse it to upload archives of single-page JPEG scans of old editions rather than combined PDF files. Feldmahler, is there some way we can make it very clear on the upload page that you can't use it for anything except WIMA source files?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

KGill: How bad is this? I don't think ZIP file is listed on the upload page; I was afraid mentioning it would promote vandalism. If normal submitters submitting ZIP files is not too frequent, we could just deal with it on a case-by-case basis (essentially, removing it unless there is a very good reason for it and PDF versions exist).

If this problem becomes unwieldy, please tell me and I'll think of another solution.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

imslp wrote:KGill: How bad is this? I don't think ZIP file is listed on the upload page; I was afraid mentioning it would promote vandalism. If normal submitters submitting ZIP files is not too frequent, we could just deal with it on a case-by-case basis (essentially, removing it unless there is a very good reason for it and PDF versions exist).
Funnily enough, on the very first day I noticed two cases of it, which made me think that it would probably be something of a regular phenomenon (if people noticed it that quickly) - but since then I haven't seen any aside from WIMA submissions, just looked through the entire upload log for the last few days and nothing illegal turned up. It appears that my reaction was misplaced.
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

KGill wrote:
imslp wrote:KGill: How bad is this? I don't think ZIP file is listed on the upload page; I was afraid mentioning it would promote vandalism. If normal submitters submitting ZIP files is not too frequent, we could just deal with it on a case-by-case basis (essentially, removing it unless there is a very good reason for it and PDF versions exist).
Funnily enough, on the very first day I noticed two cases of it, which made me think that it would probably be something of a regular phenomenon (if people noticed it that quickly) - but since then I haven't seen any aside from WIMA submissions, just looked through the entire upload log for the last few days and nothing illegal turned up. It appears that my reaction was misplaced.
Each time I add MIDI- or mp3 files to a work page already offering synthesized sound files I inevitably end up with an additional level 3 sound files tab. Of course I always remove that tab by post editing the work page. It would, however, ease the WIMA transfer project if that tab was not added!
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Usual solution for now: use the Edit link and "merge" the blocks (there's a few examples around, but if you don't know how, ask someone who does to do it for you for now...! ) and change the names from "MIDI" etc. to reflect what the files actually are - like "1. Barcarolle" and "2. Impromptu", just for example.
Agreed on the last part, true.
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

Eric wrote:Usual solution for now: use the Edit link and "merge" the blocks (there's a few examples around, but if you don't know how, ask someone who does to do it for you for now...! )
I do know how to post edit an IMSLP page and always fix duplicate sound tabs
Eric wrote:and change the names from "MIDI" etc. to reflect what the files actually are - like "1. Barcarolle" and "2. Impromptu", just for example.
Agreed on the last part, true.
Actually it looks like 'someone' has patched the logic of the WIMA sound file special page. I haven't encountered the problem during the last week where I transferred lots of WIMA files
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Having dabbled in it myself at one point at a basic level a long while back I have a great respect for the speed and adaptability of programmers. Great!