[BUG] Add Composer: Category <composer> exists!

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

[BUG] Add Composer: Category <composer> exists!

Post by coulonnus »

I have tried to add the composer René Rabey, 1878-1958, and I obtain this red message:
An article named 'Category:Rabey, René' already exists. An imslp search with this name gives no results!
steltz
active poster

Re: [BUG] Add Composer: Category <composer> exists!

Post by steltz »

Unless this has been fixed between your post and mine, the page is here:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Rabey,_René

created by you at 09:51 today,but your post has a time of 12:29, so I can only think that you hit something twice and the first one created the page and the second one generated the error message.

However, I don't find Mr. Rabey yet in the alphabetical composers list -- this might be a cache problem, but it is odd that I can find the page but not the composer in the list . . .
bsteltz
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

During my 9:51 attempt I hit a "maintenance period" and retried at about 12:00. I imagine the server had done half of the page-creation job when the maintenance period came up! :-)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

There's a simpler reason, related to my own recent post- the page is there, but not in Category: Composers. Still not. Just in Category: People. This seems to be happening quite a bit, if I'm not mistaken... adding new compositions after a several-day period (which wasn't necessary before anyway) doesn't help.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Eric wrote:There's a simpler reason, related to my own recent post- the page is there, but not in Category: Composers. Still not. Just in Category: People.
Isn't the maintenance period the culprit?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Actually this is the correct behaviour, and it has been this way for at least a few months. Basically, the system stopped assuming that every person page created is automatically classified as a "composer". A page will only show up under the Composer category if there is a work associated directly with that person (as opposed to, say, arrangements, editions, performances, etc).
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

imslp wrote:Actually this is the correct behaviour, and it has been this way for at least a few months. Basically, the system stopped assuming that every person page created is automatically classified as a "composer".
But does the Add composer link adds a composer or a "person"?
imslp wrote:A page will only show up under the Composer category if there is a work associated directly with that person (as opposed to, say, arrangements, editions, performances, etc).
Assuming the answer to my question is "composer", how much time does the system grant contributors to add the first work before this "composer" is demoted into "person"? Including maintenance periods or not?
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

imslp wrote:Actually this is the correct behaviour, and it has been this way for at least a few months. Basically, the system stopped assuming that every person page created is automatically classified as a "composer". A page will only show up under the Composer category if there is a work associated directly with that person (as opposed to, say, arrangements, editions, performances, etc).
I see I have not made myself clear. I thought I did, but I haven't. I know about this change already. But I have several categories I created and others I know about, to which pages- music or books, say - have been added (associated in the usual way, not as transcriptions, arrangements, etc.) - and even after a few days (or a month, in Rabey's case) they fail to show up in the composer category, especially if they are in the composer stub category. I am a little perturbed about this.

Is that any clearer? If not, I can try to make it clearer with links to some of the particular pages. (Try for instance most if not all of the composer categories I created in the last while- some of them can be seen here.)

Thanks!

Eric
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

OK, I've found the bug. This will be fixed with the next update (probably next weekend).
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Thank you. Apologies for the tone, I get frustrated with myself when I'm tripping over words :( Cheers!
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

and thanks for fixing that, and retroactively too :)