[FEAT] Collapsible tables in General Information

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

[FEAT] Collapsible tables in General Information

Post by KGill »

Forgive me if this has been formally brought up before, but when I asked about this last August or so I remember being told that with a MW upgrade this might be possible: I think it would be very useful to be able to hide the long contents listings on some work pages, and in order to attempt this I created this template a while ago. It takes two arguments, the first being the caption on the collapsible table and the second being the text to be hidden by default. I was told this was basically impossible to do in certain situations (including workpages) for some reason, but that it might be possible in future to overcome this limitation in the software. I am aware that there is a feature in the GI box (don't remember the field name) that allows you to display different text at the top of the page than at the bottom, but even so on some pages there is a lot of information crammed in there and it can be rather inconvenient/irritating to not be able to hide some of that text. Now, after the recent upgrade I tested out the template again (on http://imslp.org/wiki/Cirandas,_W220_(V ... s,_Heitor)), but it still doesn't work, and what I want to know is if it's possible for it to ever be made to work. Could that be done with a couple tweaks, or is it one of those things that would require a complete structural rewrite or something?
olmsted
regular poster

Re: [FEAT] Collapsible tables in General Information

Post by olmsted »

[None of my business, really, but under what circumstances is it inconvenient to not be able to hide the contents listings? Not a rhetorical question. I love seeing those listings whenever someone has gone to the trouble of compiling them! Olmsted. ]
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: [FEAT] Collapsible tables in General Information

Post by KGill »

olmsted wrote:... under what circumstances is it inconvenient to not be able to hide the contents listings?
When they are so long that they require scrolling effort to get past them to other content - I mean, there are probably pages out there that have (or could have) dozens of items in that section, I'm not really talking about your average page with 4 or 5 sections listed. Also, I'm not trying to speak against the contents listings themselves - it's a pretty important feature of the General Information box - but I'm not sure that they should always be shown by default. If this template could be used, the only text that would show when you open the page would be something like "20 pieces:", with a link to expand the table.