[BUG/FEAT]Performance of work pages offering mp3 files

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

reccmo
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

[BUG/FEAT]Performance of work pages offering mp3 files

Post by reccmo »

To me it looks mp3 files (or other multimedia file types) reduce the performance of work pages remarkably; the more mp3 files the worse! A really bad example is the work page page for Orgelbüchlein (http://imslp.org/wiki/Das_Orgel-Büchlei ... Sebastian)) by J. S. Bach.

While the page is building I see on the status line of my browser repeated references to an apparently external service, 'longtailvideo'. My impression is that the repeated references to that service is the main cause of the poor performance.

Can something be done to improve performance of such pages?
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: [BUG/FEAT]Performance of work pages offering mp3 files

Post by Carolus »

I've definitely noticed this as well. In a case like Orgelbüchlein, we'll probably end up setting up new pages for the individual works which have MP3 recordings. There are over 40 works in the Orgelbüchlein, so it is really a collection (although one put together by the composer). As I mentioned elsewhere, we'll need to establish a set of rules about what would justify the creation of a separate page for one of the works in a collection like this. I think having an MP3 recording and some arrangements would be justification for this.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

"Complicated" work pages with many arrangements, recordings etc. are slow. Isn't it because the imslp server fetches the many purely-decorative MP3-CD-Score icons on other servers? Or the graphic banner that goes with every recording?
And if I click "edit", watch the page source but make no modifications and come back to the work page, the imslp server fetches all the stuff again instead of fetching it from the cache on my computer. The same rapid succession of strange URLs show up again at the bottom of my window. Is there any logic that prevents my browser from using its cache? I'd like to be more productive with the Sibley Project. :-)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The slow pages are because of the MP3 player, which does indeed have to be obtained from another source. We're working on obtaining an open-source or free player which will not have this annoying feature.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

<rant>An URL I often see for a couple of seconds when I Add a piece to this page or edit a Work page is http://pchnote.appspot.com/. "Viewing" the score is'nt my concern when I do either task! Is this "feature" necessary? </rant>
(Even when I just Added a composer and added his very first Work) :-)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Can you provide a bit more information? I cannot seem to reproduce it using my test account. The Viewer is not written by me, but the only feature the Viewer should add is the button besides the download link. Anything else can probably be considered a bug.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

I just saw the pchnote URL (but for less than 1 second) when I made a Sibley addition to this already existing page: http://imslp.org/wiki/Die_Heinzelm%C3%A ... ner,_Hans)

Do you mean the Viewer button between the download arrow, size, pages... and the "PDF file scanned by..." message? This page has none!
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Strange. I'll keep this in mind; if I manage to find the bug I'll fix it.