Insufficient data for an image

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

newmoldyfig
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Insufficient data for an image

Post by newmoldyfig »

Getting this error message from Adobe Acrobat Reader on a few files I downloaded today, such as #211638.
I think it's only happening with recent high-quality scans . . . the background page color is showing up, but not the text (or music notes).
Anybody understand this?
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: Insufficient data for an image

Post by Choralia »

No apparent problem here. I would suggest you to right-click the link to the file and select "save object as..." (or "save target as...", depending on your browser) so that the file is saved to your computer rather than opened in your browser's window. This procedure is usually more robust to download relatively large files.

Max
newmoldyfig

Post by newmoldyfig »

Still have the same problem . . . I am downloading it, not viewing it through a browser.
However, my software is Adobe Reader 10.1.4 for Mac, not Acrobat as stated before.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

The problem you are experiencing is probably due to your computer having problems rendering the jpeg2000 images within the PDF file. Most PDF files taken from archive.org are based on those types of images. Even their so-called black and white PDF is in fact grayscale jpeg2000 images. You could try another PDF reader application (some like Foxit Reader require an additional plug-in for reading jpeg2000 images). The best solution is to convert archive.org's original jpeg2000 images to black and white tif files and then pack them into a PDF. Since this appears to be a popular file (approaching 2000 downloads in five months for the music volume) I'll convert it. Since we are dealing with nearly 500 pages it may take some time. I'll post a note in here when it's done.

Cypressdome

Update:
Two true black and white PDF files have now been posted to Ritter's Zur Geschichte des Orgelspiels.
newmoldyfig

Post by newmoldyfig »

Yes, the black and white works great. Thank you!
I'll look into using a different reader . . .