Women Composers

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Starrmark
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Women Composers

Post by Starrmark »

Fynnjamin evidently expended a great deal of time and effort to compile a list of links to women composers represented on IMSLP at http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Women_composers . And for that he is due much thanks. However, his efforts appear to be hidden. I only came across his compilation by accident -- by searching for 'women composers' on Google. I think there should be several links on IMSLP leading to this list -- for example, on the Category:Composers page, under subcategories/0; on the Category:People page, subcategory:0; and perhaps also the People With Recordings Page.

Also, although there is already a remarkable amount of music by women composers posted on IMSLP, there is still much music in the public domain that remains unscanned and unposted.

MS
tkightley
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Women Composers

Post by tkightley »

In the UK, today is Womens' Day and, on Radio 3, almost all the music played is that written by women.

One of the outstanding women composes was Fanny Mendelssohn but, rather surprisingly, she is not mentioned in the IMSLP Index. However, by using Google, I found that she was there, but under the name of Hensel, Fanny.

As she is universally known as Fanny Mendelssohn, I would suggest that she is included in the IMSLP Index under that name, even if she is included under the Hensel name, too.

Thank you.