Feature request: allow posting of CSV index files on wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

marnen
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Feature request: allow posting of CSV index files on wiki

Post by marnen »

Feature request: IMSLP wiki should allow posting CSV index files.

These files are used by music reading applications such as forScore and unrealBook to tell the application what pages are part of which movement (for example,see https://forscore.co/10-2-indexes/ and http://www.diystompboxes.com/unrealbook ... files.html ). I have created index files for some IMSLP scores, with the intention of posting the files to IMSLP as companion downloads to the scores, but when I tried to upload the index files to IMSLP, I found that it was not possible to do so, because the IMSLP wiki doesn't support uploading CSV files.

It would be great to add this feature to the wiki. In fact, I'm a Web application developer, so I could probably add it myself if the developers or admins would like (I note that the wiki is a customized version of MediaWiki, and I have some experience with customizing MediaWiki).
imslp
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: allow posting of CSV index files on wiki

Post by imslp »

This is interesting - can you e-mail me (eguo@imslp.org) a few of the CSVs and we can discuss?

- Edward
marnen

Post by marnen »

I'll attach one here when I'm back at my computer. Basically, they're just lists of titles and page numbers.
marnen

Post by marnen »

OK, here we are. https://gist.github.com/marnen/a832af65 ... ebc96af1c7 is the CSV contents file I made for the Vivaldi Gloria score (RV 589) at https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:Imagefro ... 12032/hfzn.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Is all CSV your proposing it reads the score itself (I assume from a scan using OCR) to create this indexing table?
bicinium
active poster

Post by bicinium »

This seems identical (aside from information on the key) to bookmarks/outlines in PDF documents, which I think are more useful overall. Maybe the CSV can be used to automatically add PDF bookmarks? I sometimes do this manually with scores on IMSLP.
marnen

Post by marnen »

Sallen112 wrote:Is all CSV your proposing it reads the score itself (I assume from a scan using OCR) to create this indexing table?
No, I created the CSV file manually. I want to share it on IMSLP so that the *next* person who downloads the score from IMSLP doesn't have to do the same work.

This idea is becoming common in other areas of music. There are some websites with CSV contents for widely used jazz fakebooks. Why shouldn't we do the same on IMSLP?
marnen

Post by marnen »

bicinium wrote:This seems identical (aside from information on the key) to bookmarks/outlines in PDF documents, which I think are more useful overall.
Maybe. forScore can get contents entries from there too; I don't know if unrealBook can.
Maybe the CSV can be used to automatically add PDF bookmarks? I sometimes do this manually with scores on IMSLP.
Maybe it can, in which case we have one more reason for making these index files easily available alongside the scores they serve.