La Fille du Regiment

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

FG1
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

La Fille du Regiment

Post by FG1 »

I am doing a major piece of work on Donizetti's La Fille du Regiment.

There are two full scores on the site at present, an old Kalmus version and an excellent newly engraved version by Karl Paulsson, also I believe known as Notenschreiber. I notice that there are a number of anomalies in the Paulsson version, some more significant than others. I would like to discuss resolving some of these with the editor, but I am not able to contact him in any way at present.

My only idea is to leave this message here and hope he can contact me via a private message on this forum!

I can give a couple of examples of these anomalies in this thread if it would be helpful.

The idea would be to mutually help each other, me with my work, and thereby resolve the anomalies for other users of this site.
jossuk
active poster

Re: La Fille du Regiment

Post by jossuk »

I doubt that Paulsson and Notenschreiber are the same person.
FG1
regular poster

Post by FG1 »

Oops.

Many apologies to both Paulsson and Notenschreiber.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

I´m not Paulsson, but he is inactive here since about two years and i´m afraid that he is not interested to continue his work. He is very aged too.
FG1
regular poster

Post by FG1 »

I do apologise, it was entirely my mistake.

I would be interested in hearing from Paulsson, so if anyone knows how to contact him, or if he could contact me, I would be very pleased. He could help me a great deal with my upcoming Fille du Regiment project. In return I could help with the anomalies in the current version of the opera on the site.

Thanks
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

FGI - If memory serves, Paulsson got rather huffy several years back and vowed to have nothing further to do with IMSLP, so I suspect he wouldn't be very interested in the anomalies you mention. However, there is a thread from further back (link attached) where he left an e-mail address in response to a request for contact. Perhaps that may help, and good luck.

http://imslpforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=7537
FG1
regular poster

Post by FG1 »

Hi Jossuk

Thank you for the link, in fact I had already found it and tried the address, but my email bounced back. I also tried his website and googled him extensively. No luck.

I am now reconciled to the fact that he is out of touch and I won't be able to contact him. This is a shame, as he put a huge amount of work into La Fille, and much else no doubt, but there are a number of anomalies in the score which would have benefited from proof-reading.

The Kalmus score and parts don't match very well either. If the project I am working on now produces a score which I think is worth posting here, I will do so, as I am using Paulsson's score in conjunction with the Kalmus.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

@FG1: As i tried to tell you above, Paulsson stopped his work about 3 years ago. I don´t know him personally in spite of the fact, that are homes are not far away from each other. But we had email contact for several years and i helped him with the uploading procedure at IMSLP, and sometimes we changed our experiences with the notation program Sibelius. But in 2015, he is about 80 years old at that time, he told mit, that all this technical aspects and the huge dimensions of his scores begins to overburden him. Since 2 years i heard nothing from him. Best greetings, Notenschreiber.
FG1
regular poster

Post by FG1 »

@Notenschreiber, yes I understood, and understand the situation. As I said I am reconciled to the fact that he is now out of touch. I will be proceeding with my Fille du Regiment project anyway, and if I have anything to post here, or to upload, I will do so.

Thanks.
FG1
regular poster

Post by FG1 »

Sorry to open this old thread, but I am about to start a serious amount of work on Fille. It would help my work considerably to have access to Paulsson's previous work on this. I would in return undertake to maintain this piece on IMSLP and fix any problems reported.

If anyone could contact him on my behalf I would be most grateful. I know this has already been ruled out, but I thought it worth one last try.