Views and Downloads

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Starrmark
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Views and Downloads

Post by Starrmark »

A great feature on IMSLP's Forum is the index of posts that keeps track of the number of views and the number of replies. I've often thought while browsing IMSLP's scores: wouldn't it be great if the webpage for each score also kept track of the number of views and the number of downloads. In addition to the curiosity factor to see whether lesser known scores are drawing any interest among a highly literate musical web audience, I would think these statistics would give considerable satisfaction to all those scanners and posters who have selflessly given of their time and effort to enrich IMSLP with the contents of its immense archive. I believe that those who have posted scores would especially appreciate knowing how many persons have downloaded each of these scores or at least examined them; and those who have posted recordings would equally enjoy knowing how many persons have listened to them or copied them. And I am sure live composers would be most grateful to see some numbers regarding the popularity of their scores posted under CC license. YouTube displays such statistics with its videos. And Score Exchange makes such statistics available to those who post scores and recordings of their scores. If such a feature could be added to IMSLP's webpages for each score, there should be a footnote indicating that the compilation of these numbers began on a specific date (I'm assuming past data on views and downloads are no longer available.)
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Views and Downloads

Post by cypressdome »

The number of downloads that a file has accumulated is shown on the work page on which the file is located. It is at the end of line that has the file download link, file number, file size, number of pages, star rating, and then number of downloads. If you look at any page using the Modern Skin at the very bottom of the page is the number of times the page has been visited. Both of these numbers can be clicked on to give additional information. The page view is well hidden but it is there.
Starrmark
active poster

Re: Views and Downloads

Post by Starrmark »

Many thanks for the explanation and location of these numbers. Without a guide, I had no idea of the significance of these numbers. There may be others as clueless as me