Firefox 2 Language Problems

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

ras1
active poster

Firefox 2 Language Problems

Post by ras1 »

When I access IMSLP form Firefox two, the pages appear in what seem like random languages. The main page is in Arabic, and other pages are in various languages. Has this bug been seen before?
emeraldimp
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by emeraldimp »

I'd never noticed it, and I used FF2 until a few days ago.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Were you logged in? Is there a difference between logging in and not logging in?
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Hmm... I just tried it from my computer using Firefox 2, and it was fine. When it was weird this morning, I was on a public computer, not logged in to IMSLP. When I switched to Safari, everything was fine.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

Quite strange as we don't even have an arabic translation :shock:
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Yeah...I see that now, but Arabic it most certainly was. My guess is that the computer I was using has some sort of weird auto-translation settings that somehow interpreted the page as different languages.

When I go to work Monday (that's where the problem was) I'll look into it more.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

I'm terrible at recognizing languages, but here are the words for Main Page (from the left toolbar) as I go through pages.

Main Page - Faqja Kryesore
Contributor Portal - الصفحة الرئيسية
IMSLP Goals - Tuisblad

These are the only three languages (other than English) that I can find, and the third is less common than the others. Clicking on the language links near the bottom of the left toolbar has no effect.

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.12, on a Mac Pro running OS 10.4.10.

This language bug does not affect the entire page - only the left toolbar and the top tabs, which makes me think it might be a wiki problem.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

That should absolutely not happen on one page. If it was different pages there might be a chance that the problem is with my IMSLP extensions, but to have different languages for the sidebar on one page is different. Do you have the same problem when you log in, or when you visit Wikipedia (both logged in and out)?
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Sorry, I was unclear. The three examples are all from different pages. They are all the "translations" of the words, "Main Page" as shown when displayed on the Main page, Contributor Portal page, and Goals page, respectively.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I think I know what the problem is. That version of Firefox must be configured so that all of these languages have the same weight value. Technically speaking the behaviour of IMSLP is not a bug in this case, but of course I will try to make it as predictable as possible. That means that a random language among the three will become the default for IMSLP, as opposed to the current behaviour of having a randomization for every page.