Collaboration with British Music Collection?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

jujimufu
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Bot

Collaboration with British Music Collection?

Post by jujimufu »

Hello!

I recently started working at Sound and Music, who host the British Music Collection. The BMC is an archive and database of British composers (born in, or based in, and we are keen to highlight the diversity of people under that umbrella) - we feature some scores, recordings, and are hoping to make this platform a useful space for discovering composers and seeing a history of performances / compositions / collaborations etc.

I would love to discuss the possibility for working together with IMSLP, possibly integrating / deeplinking some of the information to enhance both databases and cross-link to each other.

Who would be the best person to speak to?

Thanks!

Laonikos
Last edited by Choralia on Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed erroneously formatted link
coulonnus
active poster
notabot2: Human

Re: Collaboration with British Music Collection?

Post by coulonnus »

I guess the right link is https://britishmusiccollection.org.uk/ :-)
coulonnus
active poster
notabot2: Human

Post by coulonnus »

If BMC offers scores you can append its URL to https://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Universities_and_Libraries with a brief comment.

Then you could start a project similar to https://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Sibley_Mirroring_Project but is BMC open to such a mirroring?
jujimufu
active poster
notabot2: Bot

Post by jujimufu »

This is the right link - not sure why mine didn't show properly, I used the URL tag.

There isn't a 100% overlap between the two, and the BMC is not a library of scores per se, though there are scores on there. It is a space to catalogue e.g. the work of a composer, famous performances of works etc, so in a way has more information about each piece than IMSLP does, but fewer scores per composer possibly.

Where BMC does have scores, one option would be to add a button when submitting a score on BMC saying "would you like this to be included to IMSLP?" and if yes, then an XML with the right info in the right way could be sent directly to IMSLP to create the corresponding page automatically / with little intervention?

The opposite could also be true - if someone is uploading a work to the IMSLP page of a living british composer, to ask "would you like this work and information about this work and performances to be included in the British Music Collection?" or when someone is creating a profile for a living british composer on IMSLP to ask "would you like to create a BMC profile for the same composer linked to this IMSLP page?"

Would something like this be too complicated?