Creative Commons and copyright messages on composer pages

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Sebastian
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Creative Commons and copyright messages on composer pages

Post by Sebastian »

Hi. This is just a suggestion and I fully understand if you choose not to follow it or give it low priority.

The composer Belkin has only one score on IMSLP which is licensed under Creative Commons. So in this case the standard copyright notice
All works of this composer are still under copyright in Canada, the EU, Japan, and elsewhere; and are thus subject to deletion. The works are also probably copyrighted in the U.S. if it was first published after 1923. (See public domain.) An exception is if the composer allows IMSLP to use the works in a manner similar to a work in the public domain. If this is the case, please choose the "Creative Commons" or "Performance Restricted" license instead of "Public Domain" when submitting the file (or edit it to such, if already submitted). In such cases, it is necessary to put a copyright notice with the copyright type somewhere in the file, to prevent confusion.
This message will be removed when the works enter the public domain naturally.
is perhaps not optimal. It would be great if we could have a different message for living composers releasing music under CC or similar licenses like Belkin and Terry Riley that would say something like:
The works made available here are done so with permission from the author. License information is found on the download pages of each individual work.
The current message is a little scary with "subject to deletion" in a bold red text and such. And information about which license type to choose when submitting a file could be put elsewhere. Most users don't need to know this. And the claim that "All works of this composer are still under copyright" may actually not be true if the composer chooses to release a work into the public domain, giving up all his rights to control the work (like Richard Hipp did with SQLite).

I understand that making such changes requires some work, but I hope you find the time to look into it :-).