''London Pianoforte School" reprints.

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

''London Pianoforte School" reprints.

Post by coulonnus »

In 1985 Garland Publishing, New York, published collections of reprints of Field, Clementi, Cramer etc. under this title, edited by Nicholas Temperley. They are now out of print, but quite a few libraries have them.

Is there anybody living close to a library willing to borrow them and scan some works missing on imslp?
Eric
active poster

Re: ''London Pianoforte School" reprints.

Post by Eric »

I can see if the local university has them in an interloanable (non-reference) area (ie if they're willing to loan them via my local public library, since I'm too lazy to go up to the library and just xerox them- I prefer to bring them home and either try to scan them or use one of my two small cameras anyway...) - also, while I notice that we have several of these reprints on IMSLP already, is it reasonably certain that Temperley's editing is limited to prefaces etc., that neither he nor anyone else at the publisher edited the scores at all?

(E.g.: if there's been at least one opportunity to compare a London Pianoforte School edition of some work in the series with the original print (perhaps Sibley has a scan of the original, or BSB or Gallica or...) , to compare the two and see if there are differences. Wouldn't prove that the editor never put his 2p in, but that he didn't always, at least :) )
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Yes, I know that my scans from interloans (from the local university or another that has an arrangement with the public library- there are a few), for want of a better word, suck- if hopefully a little less so recently. (My latest, iirc, was of Wilm's 2nd violin sonata.) I offer my services in case no one else is able to help... :D
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Eric wrote:[...] is it reasonably certain that Temperley's editing is limited to prefaces etc., that neither he nor anyone else at the publisher edited the scores at all?
A typical Temperley's editing can be seen here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Grand_Sonata_in_C ... Frederick)
(rythmic hints, ornaments or alterations between [] etc.)

It would be nice to remove them.
Last edited by coulonnus on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Each work in each volume requires some research to see if we already have it or another library has it. e.g. Cramer's Sonata in E minor, Op.59 is in the wishlist and I couldn't find it in an online library.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

If a library won't let you borrow it or photocopy it an Iphone "scan" is better than no scan at all. :-) Thanks for http://imslp.org/wiki/Violin_Sonata_No. ... colai_von)
Last edited by coulonnus on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Actually, I make these scans-erm-I-mean-photographs(did I say scans?) -after- the library has allowed me to borrow it (interlibrary loans), but because my scanner-table (on my newish printer) is just too small (I should probably learn to use the copier at the library and figure out how to upload the results to my phone and from there to IMSLP. Soon, soon.) Sorry to be (1) unclear (2) offtopic! :)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Cramer sonata in E minor Op.59: a search @ Worldcat for Cramer 59 pianoforte suggests it might also be in Richard Kleinmichel's "[JB Cramer's] Sonaten und Sonatensätze : für das Pianoforte H. 1", a late 1800s edition (or it might not be, maybe the 59 that Worldcat hit "hit" number of pages, or something. One needs must be careful)

Also, "Les suivantes no. 3, sonate, pour le forte piano, op. 59" - Chappell edition (watermark 1817) OCLC 49913566 - - is listed @ Worldcat - is this the same work? - it's at the University of Cambridge (another copy, different OCLC, at Glasgow, too; OCLC 636178923 at U. St Andrews, Fife..)... I can only interloan within the US though. (Actually, a new Worldcat search for Cramer les suivantes... --

Breitkopf edition -- OCLC 838153426 - is at Stadtbibliothek Hannover...

BNF(rance) has OCLC 842136308 - this edition from Érard. (I wonder if they'll digitize it- probably not for free. OOH, BNF Gallica has a few dozen digitized Cramer sonatas, concerto solo parts, character pieces, etc. I hope we haven't been ignoring that resource! (Let me check. :) )
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Nope, Category Walker saith we have 2 Cramer scores uploaded from Gallica. There's room for improvement seeing as how Gallica lists about 30 or so, I think. :)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Oh ok, some of them are hidden in the Collections section which isn't counted by the Category walker apparently
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

With Worldcat you can enter "op 59" between quotes to avoid results with 59 pages. Note that the instrument may be pianoforte or fortepiano or piano forte or forte piano.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Putting quotes causes more problems. Consider the hits you miss:
Opus (or op or op. or oeuv. or oeuvre) 59 (or LIX) (all of which you should search for using advanced search. And no, it wasn’t only French publishers or composers in that era who used oeuvre/œuvre instead of opus...