First editions of Mozart's Piano Sonatas

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: First editions of Mozart's Piano Sonatas

Post by coulonnus »

Some libraries have it but do not offer it on Internet! Did you have a look at the pre-1800 edition on https://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_No. ... g_Amadeus)?
John Ruggero
regular poster

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks for checking on that, coulonnus. I am looking for K. 279 (revised Koechel number 189d) in the Andre edition published by Offenbach in 1841. This later edition is apparently based on the lost autograph rather than the first edition (which has a lot of editorial additions and changes). Is that the one you found that is not digitized? Your link was to a different sonata, so I wasn't sure.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Sorry, there is something wrong when you copy-paste an imslp link. Restart from the Mozart page and search this K.279.
John Ruggero
regular poster

Post by John Ruggero »

coulonnus wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:19 pm Did you have a look at the pre-1800 edition
Now I understand the problem and can answer your question, coulonnus. Yes, I did have a look and I am actively using that edition, which is the first edition that you added. Thank you again for doing that.

However, I also would like to see the later edition that I mentioned. This particular later edition is felt to be closer to the autograph of K 279, the first movement of which is missing. So it would be the primary source for that one movement. It's a shame that the copies of it you found were not digitized. Could you share where you found them? Maybe I can contact them and purchase a photocopy.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Go into https://search.worldcat.org Enter Author Mozart andre Offenbach, dates from 1830 to 1850. Worldcat is an unpleasant site. There are many useless results but a few useful ones. You have access to the catalogue of each library.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

There is a Richault edition at Krakow library, claimed to be from 1845. Unfortunately publishers before Henle did not provide their source in an introduction! Autograph or 1799 Breitkopf?

Would it be useful? Has anyone access to the Henle collection for its introduction?
pizzacito

Post by pizzacito »

The Andre edition has been scanned and is available online at the "Bibliotheca Mozartiana digital" of Stiftung Mozarteum Salzburg: https://digibib.mozarteum.at/ismretrove ... ew/5550137

The digital library also contains many important prints, editions, and manuscripts related to Mozart.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Thanks, uploaded but I found no info about its date.
pizzacito

Post by pizzacito »

NMA writes 1841, digital library puts it as c.1842. I'd say that's quite a tight range.
John Ruggero
regular poster

Post by John Ruggero »

There it is. Exactly what I needed. Thank you so much, pizzacito! And thank you again for all of your help, coulonnus.

Happy New Year!