Franck: Piéce Heroique en Si Mineur

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Perfidocascio
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Franck: Piéce Heroique en Si Mineur

Post by Perfidocascio »

Someone can help me to find "Piéce Heroique en Si Mineur" by César Franck? I love this piece, but I can't find the score!! :(
Thanks in advance...
Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

Here are a couple of books from Sheet Music Plus that contain the music you are looking for:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp ... em-_-Title

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp ... em-_-Title

Hope this helps.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

Here is a copy for sale for only $10, and printed by Kalmus which means there is a good chance it is in the public domain.

If so, whoever acquires it can scan it and upload it here.

http://www.biblio.com/books/124891066.html
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

First we should check to make sure it's not the same one as is already on IMSLP, but blocked.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

A classic example of what happens when you don't bother to look up the publication info. It's clearly a scan of a reprint of the original 19th century French edition - probably by Kalmus. I just un-blocked it after opening the PDF and being able to see what it is.

Hopefully, there aren't too many of these type of things remaining. That's one of the reasons it takes a long time to review files. If there's no information about the piece, we have to look it up ourselves - which adds to review time.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Carolus wrote:A classic example of what happens when you don't bother to look up the publication info. It's clearly a scan of a reprint of the original 19th century French edition - probably by Kalmus. [...]
That is the edition reprinted by Kalmus. (I have the Kalmus core out in my garage with the other organ music that I'm not using.)

Great piece. I played it on an undergrad student recital, and later several times as a prelude for church service.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Kalmus has its flaws to be sure, but they have probably kept a lot of things in print that would otherwise be unavailable completely or only in very expensive editions. Their printing quality has improved some in recent years, too (the actual Kalmus in Florida, that is - the Kalmus/Belwin/Alfred stuff is often printed from the last copy on the shelf). I came across a recent reprint of the Schirmer vocal score for the Mikado in a used book store that was pretty nasty.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Yes, some of the Kalmus stuff is lacking in quality. Also, the binding, at least for thick scores (of New York vintage) doesn't necessarily hold up.

This morning I finished scanning the Kalmus reprint full score of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Snowmaiden" (soon to be edited and uploaded), and 3-4 of the last signatures (or is it "gatherings"?) came unglued from the spine, the last one falling out completely. Same kind of thing is happening to my Kalmus reprint of Balakirev's 1st Symphony, of which I've scanned the 1st two movements so far.