JCF Bach - Fantasia & Fugue in F

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Working Sheepdog
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

JCF Bach - Fantasia & Fugue in F

Post by Working Sheepdog »

Hi folks.

I have been looking for a score of this piece for several years - it is the only J C F Bach Fugue to survive (the others were lost when a German library was bombed in WWII). It is a wonderful piece written originally (I believe) for organ, but also sounds wonderful on the piano.

Ricordi issued the original edition in 1915, but I am sure the copyright will have lapsed. A score of the Fugue only, edited by Oscar Beringer, was produced by the Associated Board as an exam piece, probably in the 1960s, as AB1346.

I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who could tell me where I can get hold of a copy, either of the original Ricordi score, or of the Ass. Board one.

Many thanks

Andrew
LeatherPlectra415

Re: JCF Bach - Fantasia & Fugue in F

Post by LeatherPlectra415 »

I have the Associated Board Edition No.71 AB 1346 which contains only the Fugue. I have just been playing it on the harpsichord. "Edited" by Oscar Beringer meant something totally different from current practice. This is a heavy, if not lavish, arrangement for performance on a modern piano. I also would dearly like to see the original, and to have a copy of the Fantasia. As tutors written by Oscar Beringer for piano were in use in this country when I was learning (1942) I would speculate that whoever has his library now might have a copy of the manuscript from which he worked. Can you follow this up?
David Campbell
active poster

Re: JCF Bach - Fantasia & Fugue in F

Post by David Campbell »

According to Worldcat the Univeristy of Sydney holds a copy of the 1915 Ricordi publication.