Orchestral Parts Project

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

andypryor
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Orchestral Parts Project

Post by andypryor »

There are many pieces on IMSLP that have scores but not a set of orchestral parts. Is there a project to produce sets of parts from the score, eg using an open source notation program such as MuscScore?

If not, is anyone interested in collaborating?

Andy
yojimboken
regular poster

Post by yojimboken »

Andy, actually I may be interested, depending on my schedule. I have been planning on doing this for my community orchestra, and somehow had never thought of uploading the resulting parts, but that is a fine idea.

Ken
bemari

Post by bemari »

I work as an engraver for publishers and I have seen many of the newly engraved parts by participants in this forum. I must say, if you do new sets of parts, please make them good. Parts should always have good page turns, cue notes etc. It is not happening in most cases of the new parts here! Layouts are horrible, no cue notes (players have to count huge amount of bars without any guides). In my own parts I try to give cues after 10 or 20 bars, some times there can be longer rests without cues but before instrument's entry I give several bars so that player can be sure that he has counted all bars correctly.

Idea for making a new parts for the scores is great, but it is useless to spend much time in such project if the results are such that parts are unusable!
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Hear hear, and herewith:

http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Typesetting_Guidelines

(It's been around for a while, but I think people have forgotten about it.)
bsteltz
RemmersMusic

Post by RemmersMusic »

I see full parts for the Freischütz (Weber) overture are already up. What are the chances of the full opera's parts being uploaded between now and, let's say, February?
RemmersMusic

Post by RemmersMusic »

Does anyone plan to work on Don Quichotte (massenet) within the next two months?
peter12

Post by peter12 »

Hello everyone, this forum is very interesting but i wander if this still active last post is Sept 19, 2013? thanks
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

It was started for a specific project of uploading a specific set of parts, but I think now that that project is finished, most people just ask for single works as a separate post.
bsteltz
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

I'm looking for the orchestral parts to Mendelssohn's Paulus. This is not so much a request for someone to upload the parts to IMSLP as it is a request to help me find the parts to begin with. I did some poking on WorldCat, and I couldn't find any good way of separating out vocal scores, full scores or orchestral parts. Is there any good way to search for this kind of thing?
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Breitkopf & Härtel, Carus seem to publish the parts...
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Did you look at the "Purchase Bar"? The complete parts - Kalmus reprint of Breitkopf - are all listed there.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

Ah, thanks Carolus. It took me a bit to figure out what you meant by the "purchase bar". It didn't list what I was looking for, but I was able to find it by going directly to the Kalmus web site.

All I was looking for the cello part to the tenor aria from Paulus. The list on IMSLP includes the aria I'm interested in, but only has a listing for all parts. I was able to find pricing for individual parts by searching on Kalmus' website.

Does IMSLP get any money back from scores sold through the purchase bar? If so, I would like to make sure IMSLP gets the credit for my purchase.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Yes we do get some money for those purchases, which is naturally needed to keep things going - not to mention more servers, etc. We have quite a few servers running now.