Berlioz Parts

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

varnis
forum adept

Berlioz Parts

Post by varnis »

Im not sure if this has been mentioned before, but http://www.hberlioz.com possesses complete copies of the typeset scores of berlioz's orchestral works, even though he asserts copyright over these under UK law, I suppose, given accreditation as typesetter he might be persuaded to release the typesets for posting here.

If a moderator feels like emailing the owner of the site for permission, i would be happy to clean up the parts and post them here, assuming that it will be quicker than waiting for the corresponding OM parts to make their way to us that is,
Varnis
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Berlioz Parts

Post by pml »

Hi Varnis,

Several of us here (including an editor of the New Berlioz Edition) have already made overtures to the joint owner of hberlioz.com to persuade him to do just that, however he is not yet convinced of the value of releasing the typesets here (either full scores or derivative parts); and despite the works being re-typesets, I can't imagine him releasing them cc-by or cc-by-sa. Full scores of the nature of Berlioz's orchestral works don't lend themselves to the generation of orchestral parts without extensive additional work in terms of providing adequate cueing, page turns, or rehearsal marks, which I can confidently say are not already in the typesets.

I would actually argue we wait for the old parts - most professional orchestras attempting Berlioz works these days hire the Bärenreiter parts unless they have the older Breitkopf & Härtel parts in a convenient library. As for amateur orchestras, the stuff in the Orchestra Musician's library is more familiar, and is less likely to have critical errors than a fresh typeset by a lone typesetter, no matter how reliable (from time to time I've emailed Michel Austin with several errata in his scores).

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
varnis
forum adept

Re: Berlioz Parts

Post by varnis »

Yes, much work would be needed in order to clean the parts, and there are a couple of errors in the first moveemnt of Harold in Italy for example. It is, however a shame he is unwilling to release the parts, since i was rather looking forward to a challenge ^^, ah well, i shall have to wait for the parts. Out of interest, not having access to the ftp server, is Harold in Italy on the list of works?