Chamber music for clarinet piano and voice

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Senshigeia
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Chamber music for clarinet piano and voice

Post by Senshigeia »

I am looking for chamber music for clarinet, piano and soprano or contralto. I accept any composer.
Thanks in advanced!
sbeckmesser
active poster

Re: Chamber music for clarinet piano and voice

Post by sbeckmesser »

Surely you know Schubert's Shepherd on the Rock (Der Hirt auf dem Felsen, Op.129, D965), which is likely the most famous work for this combination. It is a truly delightful piece.

--Sixtus

http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/05411
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I have HUGE list, some of which is PD and some of which isn't. I don't have time right now, because I have a concert in 20 minutes (warming up while reading IMSLP forums. . . . . :lol: ) but I will post within the next couple of days.

The Schubert is virtuosic especially for the singer (though the clarinet breathing/phrasing needs advanced knowledge, and technically, the last line of the clarinet part is not a picnic). I'll post my whole list, but it would help to know what levels you are dealing with.
bsteltz
Senshigeia

Post by Senshigeia »

Thank you very much!
As for the level of the group, it's an advanced level. :)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

OK, here's my list, although in doing further research, it seems only 2 or 3 of them are public domain, with a further few that come from operas -- you might be able to do with a vocal score + a clarinet orchestral part so you don't have to buy someone else's arrangement. Then I will list the ones that you definitely have to purchase.

PUBLIC DOMAIN
Schubert, Shepherd on the Rock (IMSLP has this, but look under the German, Der Hirt auf dem Felsen)
Spohr, 6 German Songs, op.103 -- IMSLP doesn't have this, but I would think they should be available somewhere
Meyerbeer, Das Hirtenlied -- the dates would make this PD, but I can't find it in any download site

FROM OPERAS: these will have originally been for the singer on stage, with obbligato clarinet and string accompaniment. They will not be public domain because whoever did the reduction from string accompaniment to keyboard accompaniment will have the copyright. However, there is nothing to stop you from using a vocal score to the aria, and just inserting the orchestral part.
Mozart -- 2 arias from Clemenza di Tito -- "Parto, parto" and "Non piu di fiori". These are both originally for basset clarinet, but it's easy enough to bring up the lowest notes with intelligently maneuvered transitions. Unfortunately, IMSLP doesn't have vocal scores or the clarinet parts yet. However, if your pianist is skilled enough to read an orchestral score, you can do a reduction that way. (I think Parto is Act I, Scene 9, and Non piu is Act II but I'm not sure where.

Rimsky-Korsakov, Song of the Shepherd Lell from the Snow Maiden -- IMSLP has the full score of this opera. I don't know what act this is in, partly because Lell has several important songs. It might be the 3rd song, for which IMSLP also has a vocal score, but this is transposed to a different key, so the clarinet part wouldn't match. You could still use the score to get a reasonable working version.

Spohr wrote an opera called Faust, and an aria in it is "Ich bin allein" for soprano, clarinet strings. This opera is very obscure now, IMSLP doesn't have it, so you will probably have to purchase the voice/clar/pno edition.

SACRED WORKS
Schubert, Totus in Corde Lanqueo -- from the First Offertorium, D.136. I can't find a PD download of this anywhere, but theoretically it could be available.
Cherubini, Ave Maria -- this was written in 1816, and Kalmus publishes it, though I think with English Horn substitution. The original was clarinet, and I got a PD download, but I can't find the web page now. It was from someone who did their own re-arrangement back to the original.

NON-PD WORKS (you will have to purchase)
Bononcini/Emperor Joseph I -- Viennese Arias. These are baroque, and good examples of our early history. Originally chalumeau.
Bliss, 2 Nursery Rhymes
Cooke, Three Songs of Innocence
Crusell, From Ganges' Beauteous Strands (might be from an opera, but to my knowledge, Crusell never wrote one . . . )
Herrmann, 3 Deutsche Lieder for soprano (or baritone), clarinet, piano
Jacob, 4 Seasonal Songs for voice, clar, piano
Jacob, 3 Songs for voice, clar (no piano in this one, but that might make an interesting texture change in a recital)
Kreutzer, Das Muhlrad
Vaughan Williams, 3 Vocalises for voice and clarinet (no piano, but again, might make an interesting change)

The rest of my list adds other instruments in.

Hope this helps. If anyone else has others to add, I'm always interested in expanding my lists! :D
bsteltz
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

HA! I just discovered that IMSLP has the Cherubini, although not with clarinet. BUT, if you play all the melodic material in the right hand of the piano part, you pretty much have the original clarinet part (transposed to G, of course).
bsteltz
Senshigeia

Post by Senshigeia »

I am certain this list will be very usefull, although my Chamber Music teacher might not agree with the opera gender, since it is not an original for this formation, but an arrangement.
Thank you very much steltz!
Michè

Post by Michè »

I have played some months ago two beautiful Lieder by Johannes Brahms for this group, op. 91 (for contralto or mezzo soprano at least, but I have used a soprano-legér :D ). They aren't technically difficult; but do not undervalue the interlacement voice - instruments. The piano have to be something "liquid", as the seashores...
Bye
Michè
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

AAAAh, these are beautiful . . . . but originally they were for viola, not clarinet. On the other hand, since violists keep stealing our op.120 sonatas, a bit of tit-for-tat is occasionally called for . . . . . :mrgreen:
bsteltz
Flazo

Post by Flazo »

Reply to Steltz (and appreciating that the post is almost 10 years old!). Berhnhard Crusell did in fact compose a single opera, Den lilla slavinnan
Die kleine Sklavin, Romantisches Schauspiel in drey Akten (The Little Slave Girl, based on one of the tales in the Thousand and One Nights/Arabian Nights: Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves). The Swedish Musical Heritage website has an extensive biography of Crusell, list of works, etc. http://www.swedishmusicalheritage.com/c ... -bernhard/ Since Crusell was an accomplished clarinetist, it is a bit surprising to me that this appears to be his only song with clarinet, especially since the soprano-clarinet-piano genre was a popular idiom in Europe at the time. Perhaps it supports the view that Sweden in the early- to mid-19th Century was considered to be out of the European music mainstream.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

And it should be noted that the Crusell piece has been on YouTube since 2011, with the name of the opera (described there as an operetta) included.
Other sites describe the larger work as a 3-act opera, and there is a recording of same in its entirety, also on YouTube (2013).
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Indeed, the song is from that opera. And the comment is correct that Scandinavia at that time was musically copying trends, mostly in Germany, I think, and Crusell studied there for a while.
bsteltz
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Also, I hope the lack of Spohr's Op.103 has been rectified by now; there are some lovely recordings of that set :)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

The Spohr is here -- [https://imslp.org/wiki/6_Deutsche_Liede ... %2C_Louis) IMSLP Spohr 6 Deutsche Lieder Op.104], albeit without a separate clarinet part. B
bsteltz
Arsaral

Post by Arsaral »

Hi,
I have written 4 works that include Clarinet chamber music.

The Music of Words for soprano, Pierrot quintet (flute/piccolo, clarinet, violin, cello, piano)
https://imslp.org/wiki/The_Music_of_Wor ... _Ali_Riza)

Patterns for flute, clarinet, bassoon
https://imslp.org/wiki/Patterns_(Saral%2C_Ali_Riza)

Wind Quintet 1
https://imslp.org/wiki/Wind_Quintet_(Saral%2C_Ali_Riza)

The Bottle of Tears Wind Quintet 2
https://imslp.org/wiki/The_Bottle_of_Te ... _Ali_Riza)

I can provide the parts if needed (free of any charge)

I only expect my works to be used for 'good causes' and a digital recording
of the performance nothing else.

Kind regards.

Ali Riza SARAL