Mendelssohn String Symphonies [multiple merged threads]

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

roco
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Mendelssohn String Symphonies

Post by roco »

Mendelssohn String Symphonies can these be online for download? I could not find it

Are them legal? (for free download?)
I am always interested in STRING Orchestra or String Ensamble SCORE, if you have or need
!!!! please contact me !!!!
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Mendelssohn String Symphonies

Post by pml »

Did you do a search of the forums before posting this question?

One of several previous threads discussing this.

The upshot: the 1965 edition published in the former Democratic Republic of Germany has been reprinted by Kalmus, so they should be hostable at IMSLP.

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

In a word, yes. They were performed in the composer's lifetime and therefore not subject to Canada's 50-year editio princeps term. Published more than 25 years ago so free in EU also.
roco

Post by roco »

pml wrote:Did you do a search of the forums before posting this question?

One of several previous threads discussing this.

The upshot: the 1965 edition published in the former Democratic Republic of Germany has been reprinted by Kalmus, so they should be hostable at IMSLP.

Cheers, Philip
Carolus wrote:In a word, yes. They were performed in the composer's lifetime and therefore not subject to Canada's 50-year editio princeps term. Published more than 25 years ago so free in EU also.

I found it and read it, after posting.

Its quite hard to understand some legal stuff, since law is not the same for everyone. It depends on where you are from, and the purpose for the music.

But in conclussion, i understand that is possible to post this music, wich is great for minor ensambles and student music.

Hope to find these music posted for free use.
I am always interested in STRING Orchestra or String Ensamble SCORE, if you have or need
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

this surprises me quite a bit but glad to hear (even if it turns out to be non-PD-US - though the Kalmus bit suggests otherwise - still good :) )
deathgleaner

Post by deathgleaner »

Well what do you know, I was just about to post this request! It would be terriific if we could Have a PDF of these symphonies.
My mom said I needed a signature so here it is.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Sinfonia I C-Dur
Sinfonia II D-Dur
Sinfonia III e-moll
Sinfonia IV c-moll
Sinfonia V B-Dur
Sinfonia VI Es-Dur
Sinfonia VII d-moll
Sinfonia VIII D-Dur
Sinfonia IX C-Dur
Sinfonia X H-moll
Sinfonia XI F-Dur
Sinfonia XII g-moll
Sinfoniesatz c-moll

Enjoy! Many thanks to ctesibius (and hopefully more to come soon – EDIT: yes, all are now up).

Cheers, Philip

EDITED TO ADD: As for instrumental parts for these works… would I be right in thinking that some of the usual prolific typesetting suspects around here might be interested in looking at these works? If so, might I suggest you use the Mendelssohn wishlist entry to nominate which work(s) you are going to “claim” to minimise possible duplication of effort.
--
PML (talk)
roco

Post by roco »

pml wrote:Sinfonia I C-Dur
Sinfonia II D-Dur
Sinfonia III e-moll
Sinfonia IV c-moll

Enjoy! Many thanks to ctesibius (and hopefully more to come soon).

Cheers, Philip

EDITED TO ADD: As for instrumental parts for these works… would I be right in thinking that some of the usual prolific typesetting suspects around here might be interested in looking at these works? If so, might I suggest you use the Mendelssohn wishlist entry to nominate which work(s) you are going to “claim” to minimise possible duplication of effort.
GREAT !!!!!!!!
ctesibius
active poster

Re: Mendelssohn String Symphonies [multiple merged threads]

Post by ctesibius »

All 12 string symphonies MWV N1-12 + Sinfoniesatz in c minor MWV N14 uploaded

Ctesibius
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Which if memory serves, only leaves outstanding the revised version of Sinfonia VIII in D for full orchestra with winds, brass, and timps.

Cheers, Philip

EDITED TO ADD: I’m halfway through generating instrumental parts for Sinfonia X in B minor; I’ll probably have them done by tomorrow or Wednesday.
--
PML (talk)
ctesibius
active poster

Post by ctesibius »

Philip you are right.
I haven't found it yet, but I am confident I can have it soon

Ctesibius
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Parts

Post by pml »

Update on instrumental parts projects:

No. 1 in C major — complete (Notenschreiber)
No. 2 in D major — in progress (Notenschreiber)
No. 3 in E minor — in progress (Notenschreiber)

No. 8 in D major — in progress (PML)

No. 10 in B minor — complete (PML)

Doing No. 8 will pay off handsomely if Ctesibius can lay his hands on the full symphonic version, since it will be fairly easy to adapt the string parts I’m working on to the full orchestra.

Cheers, PML
--
PML (talk)
ctesibius
active poster

Post by ctesibius »

Hi, the orchestral version is now also available.
Great the work with the parts. I wonder i you can also upload the full scores

Cheers
Ctesibius
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hi Ctesibius – there isn’t much point in my view, to loading my full score; I have done no work to improve the appearance of the score, which is optimised purely to result in the best possible appearance of the parts. Also, from a scholarly point of view, the LMA editions are careful to denote editiorial accretions that were omitted by Mendelssohn, but are clearly inferred from an examination of the material: omitted slurs, accidentals, and the like. As I have geared the parts for performance, there is no need to indicate these editorial impositions, since they are obviously indicated as such in the LMA full score. In this respect the LMA full score would have superior authority.

Thanks very much for the full orchestra version of Sinfonia VIII – I will be turning my attention to it once I finish the string orchestra version (though a few small bits of other work will need to occupy my time first), since in the main it is very similar (though not identical, particularly in the 3rd movement Trio and the Finale).

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Bumping the thread, to add a little more on the Sinfonia typesetting project (volunteers still welcome).

* All of the full scores (including the un-numbered Sinfoniesatz movement) have been available since mid-May. See up-thread for links to the wiki.
* Seven of the 12 sinfonias now have string parts (1—5, 8, and 10).
* Parts are in progress for 6, 7, and the full orchestral version of 8.

It also goes saying that Mendelssohn’s rapid development as a precocious child composer is actually writ large in these pieces: the first six sinfonias are of modest dimensions, comprising three movements of short duration. From number 7 onwards, composition on a larger and more significant scale is noticeable in almost each new work (perhaps 10, 12, and the Sinfoniesatz alone buck the trend, but they have other positive qualities).

This tendency towards larger forms also has slowed the typesetting project slightly. It would be very welcome for any of the normal IMSLP contributors to take on one of the remaining works that are as yet unclaimed:

9 in C major — 4 movements, about half hour duration. This is the first of the Sinfonias to use doubled violas throughout to make a five/six part texture; the second movement initially redivides the violins in 4, playing alone for the opening pages, later to combine with the rest to finish as a six-part and then eight-part ensemble.
11 in F major — the biggie of the set (apart from the full orchestra version of no. 8): in 5 movements, about 40 minutes duration. In addition to the five string parts (counting cellos & basses together) the second movement Scherzo has timpani and Turkish percussion.
12 in G minor — 3 movements, about 20 minutes duration. Back to four-part texture in the outer movements, but with considerable fugal and minor-key interest.
Sinfoniesatz in C minor — single movement of under 10 minutes duration, thus the easiest work to commit to typesetting.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)