"IMSLP's biggest holes" - Most Wanted Scores

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

ctesibius
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: "IMSLP's biggest holes" - Most Wanted Scores

Post by ctesibius »

Most of the early 18th c. keyboard music is available only as facsimile of original editions. (Minkoff, SPES, Forni, etc) they are PD. btw I wonder why google keeps such edition as not available view
For the Operas almost all the repertoire is in ms. (see f.i. the uploads of Boccaccio from ICCU and Dresden Lib)

Ctesibius
jsnfmn
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by jsnfmn »

pml wrote:Some random items...
Mussorgsky, Khovanshchina and Sorotchinsky Fair full scores (if Rimsky's and Cui's completions were issued pre 1923 - I assume they must have been)
PML
I have access to an edition put out by Muzyka in 1973 of R-K's completion of Khovanshchina, if this is actually PD I could get to scanning it soon.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

PD and free to post.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Another hole is Mahler 3 & 4 in full score, which I'll be adding from the critical edition, but which will suffer the [TB] once uploaded.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hi Daphnis,

as with the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe, is there any real point to uploading the critical editions when they will suffer a [TB] block for many years? Surely it would be better (for now) to find early (near to first editions) versions of Mahler 2, 3, and 4, and leave the critical editions for some time in the future. I know the critical editions of the Mahler are on your very long scan list, but I can't see very much benefit in prioritising them at all, at present.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Someone else is more than welcome to upload the Dover/Kalmus reprints of the PD scores, but since I have ready access to the critical edition, this is what I'll focus my attention on at some point.
sbeckmesser
active poster

French Grand Operas

Post by sbeckmesser »

I remember seeing a few years ago some modern reprints of full scores of early (first?) printed editions of famous 19th Century Parisian grand operas. Meyerbeer's Huguenots and Prophete and Rossini's Guillaume Tell are among the volumes I remember thumbing through. As the reprint portions of these editions are PD, if somebody has access to these they all would be perfect candidates for uploading.

--Sixtus

PS: A while ago I put out a request for the full-score of the complete Grail Narration from Wagner's Lohengrin (which he later cut). It was published as an appendix in the Broude version of the full score which might have stemmed from a version published by Peters. IMSLP already has a Breitkopf score. It would be great to have this appendix too (it would only be a few pages).
sbeckmesser
active poster

more Elgar + Schoenberg: Pelleas

Post by sbeckmesser »

Schoenberg's Pelleas und Melisande is one of the major scores at IMSLP that have parts available but no full score. The version available through Google Books is laughably useless, due to defects in the scan.

Other definitely PD scores for which IMSLP has parts but no full score are some major works by Elgar, one of the greatest orchestrators of the turn of the last century. To my mind he's the equal of Strauss and Mahler in this regard. Almost all of his works are also in the public domain (the biggest exception being the 5th Pomp and Circumstance march). Among the major scores that have parts but no full score are: Froissart, In the South (Alassio), and Falstaff (one of his true masterpieces).

IMSLP should also have full scores of Elgar's 3 great oratorios (The Dream of Gerontius, The Apostles, The Kingdom), as well as The Sea Pictures, the Violin Concerto, the Crown of India Suite and the lovely The Music Makers. His transcriptions of Bach and Handel for full late-romantic orchestra would also be useful for students of orchestration.

--Sixtus

PS: Thx to PML for his earlier Elgar request, which inspired me to go through Elgar's Wikipedia entry to compile my wish list.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Original editions (i.e., pre-Soviet, non-Western) of Tchaikovsky's works would be nice to have. Jurgenson was his main publisher, I believe.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

daphnis wrote:Someone else is more than welcome to upload the Dover/Kalmus reprints of the PD scores, but since I have ready access to the critical edition, this is what I'll focus my attention on at some point.
Please, someone who can do this, do it. These scores, as well as whatever PD Mahler 2 scores exist, are in dire need of uploading.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Tchaikovsky & Rimsky operas, Glinka too

Post by sbeckmesser »

Lyle Neff wrote:Original editions (i.e., pre-Soviet, non-Western) of Tchaikovsky's works would be nice to have. Jurgenson was his main publisher, I believe.
I'd be satisfied with complete, full scores to all the Tchaikovsky operas, regardless of edition (the Soviet edition does have some desirable musicological stuff, like variants and sketches). The present IMSLP situation of missing works, mostly vocal scores, or partial full scores, is regrettable. And while we're in the Russian vein, how about complete full scores of all the Rimsky-Korsakov operas. And there's that Soviet-era Glinka edition that should also be here complete.

--Sixtus
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Again, let's have the most sought-after scores in name, because I'm already compiling my list of scores, Sixtus, and on that list are several you have mentioned.
panda
forum adept

Post by panda »

I'd love to see more 19th century Italian bel canto opera vocal and/or full scores

e.g. Donizetti Don Pasquale, La fille du Regiment, Anna Bolena
Bellini I puritani, I Capuleti e il Montecchi
Rossini La gazza ladra, La donna del Lago, L'Italiana in Algeri, Il Turco in Italia

When looking at PD pieces which are in the repertory of many opera houses, this area seems to be one of the last major gaps.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Haydn Masses in Full Score

Post by sbeckmesser »

IMSLP only has one Haydn mass in full score (the Theresienmesse -- I wish the nicknames were at the tops of the pages). The rest of the "big six" late masses should be here too -- in full score:
Heiligmesse
Paukenmesse (Mass in Time of War)
Nelsonmesse (Nelson Mass)
Schöpfungmesse ("Creation" Mass)
Harmoniemesse

Of course, any of the other Haydn masses would be welcome as well. Unfortunately, aside from first edition (Haydn-era) printings there may be no PD versions of some of these pieces as the best editions are relatively recent critical editions.

--Sixtus
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

daphnis wrote:Again, let's have the most sought-after scores in name, because I'm already compiling my list of scores, Sixtus, and on that list are several you have mentioned.
OK, here goes:
Tchaikovsky Operas
IMSLP has full scores of:
Eugene Onegin
Iolanta
Mazeppa

so full scores (from the Soviet complete edition) are needed for:
Cherevichki
The Enchantress
The Maid of Orleans
The Oprichnik
The Queen of Spades
Undina
Vakula the Smith
The Voyevoda

Rimsky-Korsakov:
Rimsky is well served by IMSLP vocal scores but only two operas are in full score (The Golden Cockerel and Sadko). Full scores (from the complete edition) are needed for:

The Maid of Pskov
May Night
The Snow Maiden
Mlada
Christmas Eve
Mozart and Salieri
The Noblewoman Vera Sheloga
The Tsar's Bride
The Tale of Tsar Saltan
Servilia
Kashchey the Deathless
Pan Voyevoda
The Invisible City of Kitezh

Glinka:
Full score is needed for A Life for the Tsar/Ivan Susanin (which was in the Glinka edition).

Richard Strauss:
US-PD operas for which full scores are needed:

Guntram
Feuersnot
original version of Ariadne auf Naxos (I believe this was actually published, it has been performed relatively recently)
Die Frau ohne Schatten

Schrecker
Full scores are needed for all of his US-PD operas:

Flammen
Der ferne Klang
Das Spielwerk und die Prinzessin, revised as Das Spielwerk
Die Gezeichneten
Der Schatzgräber
Irrelohe