It is The Snowmaiden that has a full score posted, not Sadko :shock:
homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: "IMSLP's biggest holes" - Most Wanted Scores

Post by homerdundas »

Glinka - Ivan Susanin - Full score - coming this week
Tchaikovsky - Queen of spades - full score - I have already as one *****bigbigbig**** file - will break it up into acts, and post soon.
sbeckmesser
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by sbeckmesser »

homerdundas wrote:Glinka - Ivan Susanin - Full score - coming this week
Tchaikovsky - Queen of spades - full score - I have already as one *****bigbigbig**** file - will break it up into acts, and post soon.
Thanks in advance.

--Sixtus
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Whatever edition of Glinka's A Life for the Tsar (Ivan Susanin) is uploaded, please be sure to include in the description of the edition WHICH TEXT is printed therein.

From what I understand, even though Glinka originally intended the opera to be titled Ivan Susanin (after the hero), he changed the title to A Life for the Tsar before the first performance after a member of the royal family had attended a rehearsal -- or something to that effect. In any case, A Life for the Tsar, with text by Baron Rozen, et al., was the title under which the opera was known until the Bolshevik Revolution took over. (It had also served as the annual season opener at least in the major opera houses.)

At the beginning of the Soviet era, the opera was something of an embarrassment, because of the title and because of the constant references to the tsar in the text. It was easy to change the title back to Ivan Susanin. Several attempts were made to change the libretto, until finally the poet Gorodetsky came up with a politically satisfactory text which essentially removed references to the tsar. This text, as I understand, is the one retained in the Soviet "complete" edition of Glinka's works.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Lyle Neff wrote: This text, as I understand, is the one retained in the Soviet "complete" edition of Glinka's works.
This was also the reason the Czarist Hymn at the end of the 1812 Overture was replaced in the Soviet Tchaikovsky edition (and, with typical ignorance, reprinted by Dover).

--Sixtus
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

sbeckmesser wrote:
Lyle Neff wrote: This text, as I understand, is the one retained in the Soviet "complete" edition of Glinka's works.
This was also the reason the Czarist Hymn at the end of the 1812 Overture was replaced in the Soviet Tchaikovsky edition (and, with typical ignorance, reprinted by Dover).

--Sixtus
Ironically, what they replaced it with was the tune from "Slavsja," the final chorus of A Life for the Tsar.

Funny, though, the Soviets apparently did not rewrite the ending of Tchaikovsky's Volunteer Fleet March, which uses the Tsarist national anthem.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Not to be a kill-joy, and, indeed, as interesting and informative as these discussions are, let's please stay on topic.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

daphnis wrote:Not to be a kill-joy, and, indeed, as interesting and informative as these discussions are, let's please stay on topic.
So I hereby formally request the full score of Tchaikovsky's Volunteer Fleet March. IMSLP only has a piano score. But this is a low priority and definitely behind more full scores from the Johann Strauss family.

But while we're in march mode, there are a few mid- and late-period marches by Richard Wagner that were probably published in full score shortly after they were written that would be nice to have here:
American Centennial March WWV110, otherwise known as: Großer Festmarsch zur Eröffnung der hundertjährigen Gedenkfeier der Unabhängigkeitserklärung der Vereinigten Staaten von Nordamerika (sounds like one of the tongue twisters they give me as a test to be a classical-music announcer when I was doing college radio) [Unabhängigkeitserklärung = Declaration of Independence in 8 syllables vs 9]
Kaisermarsch WWV104
Huldigungsmarsch WWV96

Other minor Wagneriana, such as the Polonia Overture, will probably be much harder to get in full score, if they were ever published in that form before the outrageously priced new Wagner edition. But I'd be happy with as much Wagner as can be gotten in full score (especially Rienzi, which I mentioned in an earlier request).

--Sixtus
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

sbeckmesser wrote:So I hereby formally request the full score of Tchaikovsky's Volunteer Fleet March. IMSLP only has a piano score.
That's because the march was written for piano, and not otherwise orchestrated by Tchaikovsky (or anyone else, apparently).
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I also notice that we don't have a full score of Richard Strauss's Le bourgeois gentilhomme, only parts (which are undoubtedly more practical, but still). This is almost certainly a lower priority, though.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Davydov wrote:
sbeckmesser wrote:So I hereby formally request the full score of Tchaikovsky's Volunteer Fleet March. IMSLP only has a piano score.
That's because the march was written for piano, and not otherwise orchestrated by Tchaikovsky (or anyone else, apparently).
FYI, here's that march in a very, very rudimentary MIDI file with very, very rudimentary orchestration. I made this a long time ago. Depending on what MIDI sounds you have, it may sound like total crap. :mrgreen:
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Actually not a bad arrangement at all, Lyle. I think PIT himself would have approved :)
jfartaria
regular poster
notabot: 66

Post by jfartaria »

Well, there are a lot of operas that only have Voice + orchestra versions. It would be nice to have more operas with voice + piano versions! (Fidelio, Mozart's operas, Manon, Werther, etc...)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

We need specific names of pieces. And what you're talking about are "vocal scores".
ctesibius
active poster

Post by ctesibius »

Luca Marenzio, once princips musicae is today almost forgotten
24 books of madrigals and villanelle
- 10 books for 5 voices
- 6 books for 6
- 2 books for 4
etc