Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

audunsj
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

The Carl Nielsen Edition

Post by audunsj »

This might not be the right forum for this... BUT

The Carl Nielsen Edition now offers several scores (among them all (but the third) of the symphonies!!!) for download as pdf's on their website, as well as ALL of the forewords and critical commentaries for the complete edition.

http://www.kb.dk/en/kb/nb/mta/cnu/download.html
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: The Carl Nielsen Edition

Post by pml »

These are excellent new editions being made freely available rather like the Mozarteum’s publication of the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe; the question is whether the Royal Library of Denmark would grant permission to allow pieces to be maintained elsewhere. Parts and printed performing scores are the province of the publisher Wilhelm Hansen, of course. Probably this is an appropriate link to put on the Carl Nielsen category page; if there is a worklist of Nielsen’s work, it might be appropriate to update it as a table indicating which items are currently available in the edition (abbreviated as CNU).

Cheers PML
--
PML (talk)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I sent them an e-mail inviting them to upload these and the other DCM titles to IMSLP, even volunteering to include links for the printed scores at Sheet Music Plus. These have not been released under a CC license, so no uploading here without their permission please. Hopefully, I'll get a response without too many nasty words.....
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Good idea! Here’s hoping they agree.

(The prefaces, commentaries and the works themselves have all of the printing marks and lines registered on them, so they’re not really suitable for printing, only viewing on screen… but with things like Kindles and iPads improving all the time, it won’t be long before musicians use these for performances rather than printed scores.)

PML
--
PML (talk)
audunsj
forum adept

Post by audunsj »

The printing marks are easily removed with a good Pdf editor.
Carolus wrote:I sent them an e-mail inviting them to upload these and the other DCM titles to IMSLP, even volunteering to include links for the printed scores at Sheet Music Plus.

Could you please notify me when you get a reply? I'll meet with some of these guys at a seminar in Oslo, Norway, next weekend, and one of the major topics for discussion will be the publication of critical edition and their sources on the internet etc.
http://www.hf.uio.no/imv/forskning/aktu ... itage.html
(I have no idea why they haven't translated the whole programme. It's open to everyone and free of charge.)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I am happy to announce that IMSLP will be soon hosting the complete Nielsen edition from DKB. Right now, I have uploaded files for the Symphony No.2 for DKB's final approval of the format, linking, etc. Please do not add any additional files from the series until DKB has reviewed the format. This is an important collaboration and we look forward to hosting the complete Nielsen edition, which will include all of the prefaces and critical commentary. Three cheers for the folks at DKB, who have been most cordial and helpful.

In the meantime, those wanting to contribute to this project can help by working on the category page for the Nielsen edition which will be set up - listing the editors, the series and volume break down, etc.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Excellent news, and I second Carolus' call for three cheers for the Danish national library folks for their work.

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Update: Everything is now approved. I will have to lock the PDFs so they cannot be modified per our agreement with DKB (though full resolution printing is allowed, I'm happy to report). I'll be uploading the locked PDFs to the FTP server so those who wish to add scores and critical reports can do so.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Thank you!
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

What a nice Christmas present!

(Though I will happily confess to having gotten mine three days early.)

Cheers Philip
--
PML (talk)
panda
forum adept

Post by panda »

Now that all Nielsen's works are available (and bravo to the Royal Library for this marvellous resource), are there any more protocols which need to be followed for anyone who wants to upload to IMSLP?
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Panda- Having to do with Nielsen specifically, or in general? If the latter, please see the page http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Contributor_Portal for a start... :) -

I'm not sure I understand your question well enough, I apologize- it's not your fault I fear!

Eric S.