Haydn Wind Works

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

thornwastaken
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Haydn Wind Works

Post by thornwastaken »

I cannot find most of these works from publishers. I hope that some of you might be able to help:

J Haydn:
Divertimento in E-Flat Major Hob. II, ES. 13
Divertimento in G Major Hob. II, G3
Divertimento in G Major Hob. deest
Divertimento in E-Flat Major Hob. II, ES. 14
Divertimento in C Major Hob. II, 7
Divertimento in F Major Hob. II, 23
Divertimento in D Major Hob. II, D. 18
Divertimento in B-Flat Major Hob. II, B. 7
Divertimento in D Major Hob. deest
Divertimento in F Major Hob. II, F7
Divertimento in C Major Hob. II, 14
Divertimento in E-Flat Major Hob. II, ES 12
Divertimento in F Major Hob. II 15
Parthia in B-Flat Major Hob. deest
Parthia No. 2 in E-Flat Major Hob. deest
Parthia in E-Flat Major Hob. deest
Parthia in E-Flat Major Hob. II, ES. 16
12 Notturnos Hob. II, D. 5
Feldparthie in F Major Hob. II, 44
Suite in E-Flat Major Hob. II, ES. 17
Feld Parthie in B-Flat Major Hob. II, 46
Feldparthie in E-Flat Major Hob. II, 41
Feldparthie in B-Flat Major Hob. II, 42
Sextet in E-Flat Major Hob. deest
Feldparthie in F Major Hob. II, 45
Feldparthie in B-Flat Major Hob. II, 43
Quintet in F Major Hob. II, F12
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Haydn Wind Works

Post by kalliwoda »

Ah, you must have the Teldec CD set with the Consortium classicum!

Unfortunately Consortium classicum hold the sources of their music very close to their chest, its almost impossible to find any of the works that are not listed in the standard references, sometimes the recordings even list different composers (Hummel, Pleyel...)

Some of these works have never been published, maybe because they are of dubious authenticity. You can find complete listings of library locations with incipits in Vol.8 of the catalogs by David Whitwell:
David Whitwell: The history and literature of the wind band and wind ensemble 8. Wind band and wind ensemble literature of the classic period. - 1983. - XII, 396 S. Very few libraries have this, so I will extract some info for you:

To make it easier for me, I group the works a little different, library codes used are from RISM, you can google for them.

quartets:
Hob II, 14 Divertimento for 2 clarinets and 2 horns (Doblinger DM32)
Hob II, D5 Notturnos for 2 flutes and 2 horns (as Noktunos by Ars Musica Verlag 1952, as Notturni by Amadeus Verlag 1993)

quintets
Hob II, F12 Quintet for 2 oboes, 2 horns and bassoon (as Divertimento by Musica rara)
Whittwell also lists Hob II, G8 Partita for 2 oboes, 2 horns and bassoon ms CS-KRa (IV.B.37)

sextets 2 oboes, 2 horns, 2 bassoons
Divertimenti published by Doblinger:
Hob II, 15 (Doblinger DM29)
Hob II, 23 (Musica rara, Doblinger DM30)
Hob II, 7 (Doblinger DM31, Musica rara as Feldpartie) This is available at imslp!
Hob II, D18 (Doblinger DM33)
Hob II, G3 (=Hob II, 3) (Doblinger DM84)
Hob deest in G ms CS Pnm (Doblinger DM85)
Hob deest in D ms CS-Pnm (XLII.D.32) (Doblinger DM86)
Whitwell also lists a Partie in C Hob deest ms CS-KRa (IV.B.198)

sextets 2 clarinets, 2 horns, 2 bassoons
Hob II Es17 (Suite) ms D-Bds
Hob II B7 (Parthia) ms CS:Bm (Accolade Musikverlag)
Whitwell does not list Parthia in B Hob II deest, Parthia in Es Hob deest, Parthia No.2 in Es Hob deest, and Sextet in Es Hob deest. But there are new editions of a Parthia in B Hob deest and a Parthia in Es Hob deest by Accolade Musikverlag

octets
Hob II F7 ms A-Wgm (VIII 49752) (published as "Urtext" by Egge-Verlag 2000, as heavily edited "Octet in F" by Kahnt 1890, reprints by IMC, Belwin)
Hob II, Es12 ms A-Wgm (VIII 41159) - I have a Finale typeset
Hob II, Es13 ms A-Wgm (VIII 40899) This is a severely flawed manuscript score, apparently from parts in D major. The writer didn't recognize written-out da capos in only some of the parts and just wrote them against each other in the score, omitting the "left-overs" at the end of the movement. The D major version exists as 2 Parthias (No.4 and No.3) by Franz Anton Hoffmeister in NL-Ura/mZ (6 Parthias, parts) - I have a Finale typeset
Hob II, Es14 ms A-Wgm (VIII 39998) - I have a Finale typeset
Hob II, Es16 ms D-Bds
Hob II, 41 ms A-Wgm (score), D-Dlb (Mus 3356-P-522) ms parts (published Universal-Edition 1931, score only)
Hob II, 42 ms A-Wgm (score), D-Dlb (Mus 3356-P-521) ms parts
Hob II, 43 ms A-Wgm (score), D-Dlb (Mus 3356-P-524) ms parts (published Schott 1970)

Divertimentos (Feldpartie) for 2 oboes, 2 horns, 3 bassons, serpent.
Hob II, 44 ms A-Wgm (score), in D-Dlb (Mus 3356-P-525) ms parts
Hob II, 45 ms A-Wgm (score), in D-Dlb (Mus 3356-P-523) ms parts
Hob II, 46 ms A-Wgm (score), in D-Dlb (Mus 3356-P-520) ms parts (published Schuberth 1932, Peters)
The last work is with the movement "Choral St. Antoni"
Last edited by kalliwoda on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thornwastaken

Post by thornwastaken »

Thanks a million for your generous help! I will renew my hunt with this information as a compass. Truly appreciated!
Thalia

Post by Thalia »

Dear Kalliwoda,
I'm deeply impressed by your listing of the Haydn wind music, thanks a lot, very clear & inspiring!
Do you share score you have as finale typeset? My ensemble is looking for the music of the Octet Hob. II:14. Would be great to hear from you!
Thanks & best regards,
Thalia
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

I believe Henle publishes some of these, but they aren't cheap. Hob. II:14 is in a collection that goes for $148 (via Hal Leonard).
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES

Post by kalliwoda »

Sorry for the late reply, but I just am back home tonight...

I guess it is easy to get confused by the Hoboken numbering system:
Hob.II:14 is a Divertimento for 2 clarinets and 2 horns. you can find it (score and parts) at imslp: http://imslp.org/wiki/Divertimento,_Hob ... n,_Joseph) in a 1959 Doblinger edition.
So, no need to buy the Henle score, Hsg. Haydn-Institut Köln, copyright 1991.

The octet is among the questionable works in the Hoboken appendix, the numbering there includes the key, Hob.II:Es14.
The copied manuscript parts of this work and its sister work Hob.II:Es12 at the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde Wien have a small note on the cover "del Sig. Hayd". It is obvious from the musical quality that both Divertimenti cannot be by Joseph Haydn.
The "complete" Haydn edition (Henle) does not include any of the many questionable works.

Now, to make matters worse, the CD collection by the Consortium classicum switched the two Divertimenti Hob.II:Es12 and Hob.II:Es14.
You can find soundbites from this CD box with the incorrect numbering at
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/ ... um/6727003
Hob.II:Es12 (Allegro assai, Cantabile, Menuetto-Allegretto, Allegro non troppo) A-Wgm Sign. VIII 41159
Hob.II:Es14 (Allegro con expressione, Menuetto, Adagio, Finale) A-Wgm Sign VIII 39998

Finally, I purchased microfilm of these manuscripts almost 20 years ago, signing off on their exclusive distribution rights. Unfortunately, a recent request to post my editions on imslp received a very categorical veto by the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde. So you will have to purchase scans (much better readable than the old microfilm copies) directly and pay an additional "copyprotection fee":
send an email inquiry to: office@a-wgm.com.

Only if you have obtained your own copy of the manuscript and you consider the scans are not good enough to play from, can I help you with the Finale files (send me a PM)
Thalia

Post by Thalia »

Thank you for your reply! Again, very helpful and illuminative information!
We will contact the WGM about the manuscripts and receive hopefully readable scans (and enjoy the music:)
Bea Kröhnert

Post by Bea Kröhnert »

Hi, I am desperatly looking for the sheet music of Haydns Divertimento Hob II, Es13. I contacted the archiv in vienna and we'll get a copy of a full score, but the musician need the parts as well. Could you help me, please?
kind regard
Bea