Respighi, Pines of Rome

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Respighi, Pines of Rome

Post by steltz »

Any chance that someone would have orchestral parts to Respighi's Pines of Rome to upload to the EU server? Thanks.
bsteltz
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Respighi, Pines of Rome

Post by daphnis »

Those would be great to have, although I'm sure Ricordi would be extremely pissed if someone had them (because doing so would mean a violation of someone's rental agreement, most likely) and doubly so if they were uploaded!
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

I can see what I can do. I have the 1st Violin and Viola parts on hand but the complete set. I can ask some music libraries here in SLC. --mk49
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

According to the set of parts I have, the copyright has been renewed on them. firts copyright date was 1925, qnd then renewed in 1953. so they would be subject to the infamous TB? am i not correct -- mk49
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Correct, but available to EU users.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

And, I believe, Canadians and people in other "life + 50 years" countries would be able to download them too.
bsteltz
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Does the bird get copyright on the recording? :P
Seriously, that's an integral element of the parts.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

If m.kowalski49 is in the U.S., I guess that the following topic may be of interest:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=909

I think that there are some contradictory considerations in such thread, so I'm not sure about the conclusions. It would be probably interesting to also consider the possibility to physically move a score from a country where it is not PD to a country where it is PD, and make copies/scans there, where copying is legal. It's a rather garbled subject, IMO.

Max
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

Ok chaps, no need to tear me apart.. and Perlnerd, I will wake up laughing at 2 am about the comment "Does the bird get copyright on the recording" so funny.

Thats fine, I will probably not upload them then if thats the case. I will not be contributing anything to IMSLP.ORG from here out.

The Filing cabinets I inherited, are to 26 legal size with folders of Complete set of Parts to virtually everything you can think of, de Falla, Bartok, Things that are certainly up loadable to this server. So your loss not mine.
Rachpiano43

Post by Rachpiano43 »

The passion of good music often causes passionate artists to clash against each other. It is a shame we have to struggle so hard against copyrights just to enjoy music that many artists, now dead, composed for everyone.

Perhaps I have misunderstood, but if you have the ability to share the wealth of great art do not let others deprive you of that goal. Your contributions are and will be more than appreciated.

Thank you,
Tom
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I'm sure that the comments against you contributing this particular piece have more to do with protecting you and us in case there is a case brought for infringing copyright by uploading something to another server that is not PD from the country you are in. I didn't really get any feeling that anyone was trying to be nasty in any way.

I'm sure lots of what you have is PD in the United States and therefore uploadable, so I would encourage you to contribute those.

(As for the Respighi -- thanks for the offer -- it really is my loss, since I'm in a country where he's PD!)
bsteltz
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I realize this thread is a little old, but I just made a little discovery for those outside the USA who have to suffer due to the USA's nutcase copyright circus. A new Canadian publisher has opened its doors and seems to be interested in taking advantage of Canada's much more reasonable copyright term. The new firm is SheetMusicX, or Edition Zeza, and they have a newly engraved full score and parts for Pini di Roma available for about what one would pay for a Kalmus reprint if it were avaialble. The page for their edition is here.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Carolus, that’s awesome! (I’m in the same boat as Steltz in being in a country where Respighi has been PD since the mid-1980’s.) Thanks for that link, I’m sure I will make use of it from time to time.

Re: the nightingale: the score specifies a particular grammophone record (listed as “Nº R. 6105”) — surely a digitised version of this could be uploaded as a “part” score… (I have a rather nice 4 minute wave file of nightingale-song from somewhere on the internet sitting on my hard drive in the Respighi folder)

PML
--
PML (talk)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Just bringing this forward again -- this would be fabulous to have. If not full parts, I would like at least the clarinet part for my class on orchestral studies for clarinet (if anyone happens to have that part!).
bsteltz