Gossec, Rosine ou L'épouse abandonnée, opera

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

suzukiskeptic
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Gossec, Rosine ou L'épouse abandonnée, opera

Post by suzukiskeptic »

I'm looking for an "original" or "Ur" score, first edition or close as possible of the Opera Rosine ou L'éposue abandonnée, especially the famous Gavotte. Thank you much in advance.
Last edited by suzukiskeptic on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jean-Séb
forum adept

Re: Gossec, Rosine ou L'éposue abandonnée, opera

Post by Jean-Séb »

Please note that the spelling of the second title is wrong (and is so on many Internet pages) : it should be l'épouse abandonnée.
It is funny to note that the gavotte in the opera is not mentioned at all in the reviews that I have read dating from the period. The opera was a fiasco. Some reviewers have however noted that it contains a few nice pieces and a ballet, but the gavotte is not mentioned.
I read somewhere the gavotte was popularized as a violin piece by a transcription by Willy Burmeister, at the turn of the Century. But it is still not clear to me whether the original piece comes from the opera or whether it is a separate piece.
suzukiskeptic

Re: Gossec, Rosine ou L'épouse abandonnée, opera

Post by suzukiskeptic »

Thank you very much for the correction. This makes more sense. I got the spelling from the wikipedia article about the composer. I have corrected the subject accordingly.
Thank you also for your thoughts regarding the origins of the popularity of this piece. I am trying to figure out that very thing myself, in addition to the topic you brought up, that is, whether the gavotte is from the opera at all. The only reason I came to that conclusion is that the piece is often attributed "Gavotte (Rosine)".
Willy Burmeister! I believe he was the reason that the so-called "Lully Gavotte" which actually was written by Marais, made its way into the Suzuki repertoire (as well as its erroneous attribution), from the score I found using the search by melody feature here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/22949
Do you think this is the edition in question? If the Gossec from the edition was uploaded as well, I am unable to find it.
suzukiskeptic

Post by suzukiskeptic »

Another printer's error, and typo by you and me both. The arranger is not Willy Burmeister, but Willy Burmester. Doing a search under his name yields, among other thing, the following link:
http://imslp.org/wiki/St%C3%BCcke_alter ... ,_Willy%29
which includes, in volume 5 No 2, the Gavotte in question.
Let's try to find the original and see how different it is from Mr Burmester's edition.
Jean-Séb
forum adept

Post by Jean-Séb »

It seems from this book that there exist three different (manuscript ?) versions of a gavotte called Rosine, dating back to 1786 (i.e. the same year as the opera), under references RH318a, RH318b and RH318c.
You might want to contact the author of the book, Claude Role at the Centre de musique baroque de Versailles
http://www.cmbv.fr/
maestroukr

Post by maestroukr »

I posted the manuscript to the Gossec Gavotte from the opera Rosine on IMSLP.