Samuel Barber - Adagio for strings op.11

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

car7man
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Samuel Barber - Adagio for strings op.11

Post by car7man »

Hy, i am new to the forum and my english is verry bad so pardon me fot my mistakes . Can annyone please help me get the (i guess it's called) music sheet for this song i have a friend that conducts a small quartet and his 1st demo was great and as a personal request i've asked him to play in his next demo adagio for strings and he told me that he will if i will help him find the sheets so can annyone plllease help me !? i tried to search but i dont know where or how :-??!!
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Samuel Barber - Adagio for strings op.11

Post by KGill »

Since Barber died only in 1987, his work will be under copyright until 1 January 2038 in Canada, where the main site is hosted. All of his work is also under copyright in the US and EU; it cannot appear on IMSLP without explicit written permission from his estate. You can probably buy it from sheetmusicplus.com, though.
[EDIT: actually died in 1981, therefore PD on 1 Jan. 2032.]
Last edited by KGill on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correct death date
car7man

Post by car7man »

Ah lol i actually visited u the site u sugested it's actually cheap 10x a lot u really hellped me i will buy the sheet and give it to him as a gift :P 10x again ! and for only 2 $ who would think :O
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

If your friend is conducting a string quartet or playing in one, I don't see how you can get the parts for less than $17.00, which is what the publisher (Hal Leonard) currently charges for the four string parts. A separate study score is available for $15.00.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Postscript: the information I gave refers to the Barber String Quartet which contains the "Adagio". I see no listing of the movement by itself for quartet, although there seems to be a separate string _orchestra_ version available for just the "Adagio"...
madcapellan
regular poster

Post by madcapellan »

Barber died in 1981, not 1987, but it will still be another 20 years before his music can be hosted on this site.

The Adagio is the first half of the second movement of Barber's only (named) String Quartet. This is the version you'd have to play if you want to play it for string quartet. The parts for the quartet and the score of the string orchestra version of the Adagio are available. The string orchestra version is almost a straight transcription (with divisis and a bass part added obviously), so you won't notice too much difference playing from the quartet.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

madcapellan wrote:Barber died in 1981, not 1987, but it will still be another 20 years before his music can be hosted on this site.
Thanks for the correction - that's what happens when I go from memory...I've amended my earlier post.