Batuque (Negro dance) - Oscar Lorenzo Fernandez

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Mozartlovemaianh
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Batuque (Negro dance) - Oscar Lorenzo Fernandez

Post by Mozartlovemaianh »

Batuque (Negro dance) - Oscar Lorenzo Fernandez - full orchestral score. thank you very much.
steltz
active poster

Re: Batuque (Negro dance) - Oscar Lorenzo Fernandez

Post by steltz »

Fernandez died in 1948. If this work was published prior to 1923, then it could be posted on the US server, but it would still be illegal to download in many places. It would be illegal in the EU, for example because the copyright law is life+70. It would also be illegal to download from Mexico.

If it was published after 1923, then it will only be in the public domain in countries like Canada, which has a life+50 copyright law. Unfortunately, IMSLP would still have to block it because the two servers are in countries where this work would be illegal to download.

Let's start with -- can you find a publishing date?
bsteltz
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

It seems as though the piece was part of a 3-movement suite that the composer extracted in 1941 from a previous opera. Hal Leonard has a study score for $10.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I'm not sure if American law would deem the suite a separate piece from the opera, and therefore recognize 1941 as the publishing date.

This won't even be relevant if the opera is post-1923. Do you have a date for the opera?
bsteltz
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Per the Wikipedia entry, the opera, Malazarte, was written between 1931-33, with the first performance taking place in 1941.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

A quick glance at World Cat shows 3 scores listed for "Batuque" with various publication dates from Peer international, Ricordi, and an outfit called "New Music" (?), the last dated 1939, which also seems to be the earliest date listed for any of the three publishers.

Now here's the rub: further searching reveals that there are, perhaps, two separate pieces with the designation "Batuque". The non-opera derived one, and apparently the more familiar, comes from a suite entitled "Reisado do pastoreio" written in 1930. I would guess that the Hal Leonard score I mentioned earlier is the item in question.

(Alternately, the latter suite might just be the same as the item mentioned on the Wikipedia page, but that would mean that there is contradictory information out there. That would be a first!)

World Cat shows no publication for "Reisado do pastoreio". (And, to stir the pot a bit more, Peer also publishes a band arrangement of "Batuque".)

Of course, none of this would seem to change the bottom line: no PD score available...
Mozartlovemaianh

So...could you send me the link of the Publisher Hal Leonard, please? I'm a student in Vietnam and I really need this score "Reisado do Pastoreio" for my Youth Orchestra to play it in the next charity concert. Maybe I will buy it online.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

http://www.peermusicclassical.com/catal ... talcount=1

It would appear that the actual orchestral parts are rental only.
bsteltz
Mozartlovemaianh

Thank you very much but this is Batuque from malazarte of Fernandez, and I've bought the wrong score...the score I need is 3rd. movement from Reisado do Pastoreio.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Unfortunately, as it turns out, the item (from "Malazarte") published by Peer is the piece now distributed by Hal Leonard. Still looking for any mention of a published score for "Reisado do pastoreio" or the "Batuque" movement from same. Bernstein apparently recorded it , so there might be some info to be had via the NY Philharmonic's library.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Upon further reflection, and after further searching:
The Wikipedia entry for Fernandez states that he composed "Malazarte", then put together a three-movement suite of music from the opera, the third movement of which is entitled "Batuque". Although the title of suite itself is not given in the Wikipedia entry, I believe it is indeed "Reisado do pastoreio". That would mean there is really only one "Batuque" after all. Peer (distributed by Hal Leonard) publishes two different scores, one (apparently) the symphonic original, the other a band arrangement. If the symphonic score is not the one being sought, I am thoroughly puzzled.
Mozartlovemaianh

I've found this in the internet. Could anyone upload it into imslp please? I really need it for the charity concert! :(
http://www.apesound.de/en/More-apesound ... 23975.html
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Unfortunately, since the earliest date anyone found is 1930, if anyone did upload it to IMSLP, it would have to be blocked, because it would be still under copyright in the US and in Europe.
bsteltz
Mozartlovemaianh

So how long will it take if we have to wait? I mean, how long do we have to wait for this uploaded into imslp?
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

The link in Mozartlovemaianh's last post is for a used Ricordi score; even if it were a permissible download, someone would first have to buy that score in order to scan it.