Jaques-Dalcroze Esquisses Rythmiques

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

MDale
notabot: 626
notabot2: Human

Jaques-Dalcroze Esquisses Rythmiques

Post by MDale »

Hi - First, what a treasure this place is! I haven't been on "this side" of the site before, so I hope I can ask the question correctly.

It's great to find the Method Jaques-Dalcroze here! However, the "Marches Rythmiques" volume is titled "Complete Method" for some reason. It is actually the first of three volumes; the second two are titled Esquisses Rythmiques (vol. I and II, which make up volumes 2 and 3 of the grouping, oddly enough). They're missing from this collection.

Is it possible they were included in the Sibley scores but looked as if they were redundant to the "Marches" volume, since it's incorrectly titled "Complete Method?"

Is there a way to search the as-yet unclassified scans for them?

(If all else fails, I can scan them from my own copy, but thought surely Sibley would have them.)

Thanks!!! :D
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42

Re: Jaques-Dalcroze Esquisses Rythmiques

Post by Carolus »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Sibley is of course still in the process of scanning their huge collection, so the other volumes might turn up soon. If you have the time and skill, your own scans are of course welcome also.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

MDale wrote:Is there a way to search the as-yet unclassified scans for them?
The catalog of Sibley scans - imslp uploaded or not - is there:
https://urresearch.rochester.edu/viewIn ... ctionId=63
The catalog of Sibley scores - scanned or not - is there: http://catalog.lib.rochester.edu/vwebv/searchAdvanced
Do you find these volumes?
MDale

Post by MDale »

coulonnus wrote:
MDale wrote:Is there a way to search the as-yet unclassified scans for them?
The catalog of Sibley scans - imslp uploaded or not - is there:
https://urresearch.rochester.edu/viewIn ... ctionId=63
The catalog of Sibley scores - scanned or not - is there: http://catalog.lib.rochester.edu/vwebv/searchAdvanced
Do you find these volumes?
Hi -

Thank you for pointing me to this listing. No, I don't see the Esquisses Rythmiques there.
MDale

Post by MDale »

Carolus wrote:Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Sibley is of course still in the process of scanning their huge collection, so the other volumes might turn up soon. If you have the time and skill, your own scans are of course welcome also.
Thanks for your reply! I know how to scan, but I don't know how to upload the scans to IMSLP.
jfarrington
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by jfarrington »

Sibley does, indeed, have all the volumes, but it's a little confusing, bibliographically. You've seen the part we have already digitized. We also have a 3-volume set (well, it's 4 volumes in that there is a separately published introduction, followed by 3 other volumes, all under the general title of Méthode Jaques-Dalcroze). Looking closely I'm not even sure they belong together, but I'll describe them here.

v.1 is subtitled Exercices de plastique animée, publ. 1916 by Jobin & Cie. There's only some music present, and mostly seems to be describing and showing movement.

What we've labeled v.3 is titled Esquisses rythmiques pour piano, same date and publisher (Pl. 1528), and is 83 piano pieces.

What we've labeled v.4 has the same title, but includes a notation on the TP that it is in fact the 3rd volume of the set that begins with the Marches Rhythmiques. It was also published in 1924 :( (but by the same publisher, Pl. 1536).

I hope this helps describe better what we have on our shelves.
Jim
MDale

Post by MDale »

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much! Yes, it does seem these works were published and re-published with varying specifics, and oddly numbered. The "Esquisses Rythmique - I," No. 1528, is Volume II of the three including the Marches No. 780, and if I understand you it's also the third volume if counting an introduction --?!

(Even more confusing, there are editions from the 1950s dividing them up even further. I've seen them titled in groups of 164, 84, 50, 30, 27 and 16!)

I don't think I have an earlier Esquisses II/Volume III... Rats.

What I still don't understand is why the Marches (Vol I, No 780) are listed here as "Complete Method" - ?

Thanks again! :D
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

We'll change that listing shortly.