Akira Ifukube - Violin Sonata

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Bachvein
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Akira Ifukube - Violin Sonata

Post by Bachvein »

I posted about this piece some time ago but I don't know how to reuse the post. Sorry

Anyway,
I live in the UK and I want to know where I can find this mid-20th century-rather specific-Japanese piece: the Violin Sonata by Akira Ifukube
I haven't had much luck in stores or online. I wondered if anyone on this website would know where I can buy it from.
I found ONE Japanese website that sells it, but of course, it's based in Japan and may not deliver to Europe.

Does anyone know of any good music stores that could get me this score? How do you think shops would feel about signing up on a Japanese websites and ordering it for me? (quite unlikely, right?)

Any help appreciated.
jobdf
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Akira Ifukube - Violin Sonata

Post by jobdf »

At http://www.worldcat.org you can find in libraries :
Vaiorin sonata

(Sonata for violin and piano)
Verfasser/in: Akira Ifukube
Verlag: Tokyo : Ongaku No Tomo Sha Corp., ©1989.

1 score (32 p.) + 1 part (11 p.) ; 31 cm.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

You should try contacting music retailers in the U. K. and ask whether they can arrange something with the Japanese publisher. The WorldCat search shows only libraries in the USA and in Germany with scores. The music can be bought in the USA via Theodore Presser for around $59.
Bachvein
regular poster

Post by Bachvein »

thank you all very much for your help
Mravinsky

Post by Mravinsky »

The Violin Sonata can be downloaded from here:

https://goo.gl/TxvcNA

This is my personal copy with my own annotations.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

However, one does have to wonder about the copyright aspect of the proffered download. And, it seems that p. 31 (last page?) is off-center enough to be missing notes.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

There might be published scores by Ifukube held in libraries not listed in Worldcat, or not held in libraries at all, but the earliest one with a copyright date that I notice is the dance Bon Odori, ©1936, and a suite for piano with a complicated copyright date. The violin sonata (also called Vaiorin sonata) has "Tokyo, Japan : Ongaku no Tomo edition, ©1989".

As it was composed in 1985 according to Dresden Library, an earlier copyright date is not to be expected, though, is it? Sorry!
Bachvein
regular poster

Post by Bachvein »

Mravinsky wrote:The Violin Sonata can be downloaded from here:

https://goo.gl/TxvcNA

This is my personal copy with my own annotations.

Hi! I've only just seen this message and I don't seem to be able to download the file. Would you be so kind to re-upload it here or somewhere else? Many thanks!
Mravinsky

Post by Mravinsky »

I don't know about copy right.

You cannot buy the score anywhere. It tooke me 8 months of search to find it in a library at Canada and have someone over there to copy the score and send it via Air Mail. I'm still in the search for more Ifukube Music, many japanese sheet music seems impossible to find.

So, here is the link to my personal copy, with my annotations and scanned by myself:
https://mega.co.nz/#!OE4kmApC!aSsCnWimI ... W1ioZGwq8I

This is a recent recording of me and a friend playing with this same score:
https://youtu.be/D9H3ypSqqO4

BTW, page. 31 is off-center enough to be missing notes but they can be deduced (yes, it is the last page). It's almost the same. This is how it came to me.
Mravinsky

Post by Mravinsky »

I'm not sure about copyright, I'm not doing business with the score. It seems many japanese sheet music is just impossible to adquire.

For me, it took 8 months of search to find it in a library in Canada and have a friend of a friend to go over there, make a copy and send it to me via air mail.

There are some missing nots at the final page but all can be deduced, it's very similar or just the same as bars before.

Here you can have my personal copy with y own annotations, scanned by myself:
[link deleted by moderator]

And, for reference, here is a recent recording of me and a friend using this same score:
[link deleted by moderator]

:)

Really, it just seems impossible to get any printed music from Zen-On or Ongaku no Tomo
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

You seem to be under the misapprehension that "doing business with the score" is relevant. If you are copying the score etc. (for others), then you are violating copyright if the score -is- in copyright. Sharing links like that on our forum is also against the rules of our forum, so I am contacting a c-admin re that...
Mravinsky

Post by Mravinsky »

You seem to be under the misapprehension that "doing business with the score" is relevant. If you are copying the score etc. (for others), then you are violating copyright if the score -is- in copyright. Sharing links like that on our forum is also against the rules of our forum, so I am contacting a c-admin re that...
Oh, I see.
I'm sorry for the double answer, I did not see it was already posted.

...So maybe the earlier responses will be deleted, maybe my file at Mega, eventually, will be deleted. Because of this, anyone interested in acquiring the score just write down your email and we will figure out a way.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Several works of his can be purchased in some form of score in the "Books" section at Amazon.com, actually, including his violin concerto (used & new, Amazon acting as resellers). Some similar sites may also resell some of his music, maybe the violin/vaiorin sonata might be at one of those. I'm sorry to hear that Zen-On is, like some other publishers famously in the past, shooting itself the foot in ;), though...
(Or as noted depending on where you are, there's at least 6 libraries a person might be able to borrow/interloan it from, to study it at least, for the time being... http://www.worldcat.org/title/vaiorin-s ... c/34624853 - among other links @ Worldcat - e.g.)
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Eric wrote:Some similar sites may also resell some of his music [...]
http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Used_sheet_music_stores :-)
goconnor537

Post by goconnor537 »

Mravinsky wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:10 am
Oh, I see.
I'm sorry for the double answer, I did not see it was already posted.

...So maybe the earlier responses will be deleted, maybe my file at Mega, eventually, will be deleted. Because of this, anyone interested in acquiring the score just write down your email and we will figure out a way.
Hey! Sorry, I'm new here and this post is ancient by now, but if you're still around, I'm interested in the score and I'd be extremely grateful if you contacted me at [address deleted by moderator]
Last edited by Eric on Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: what did we say?