Salieri's Falstaff

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Chris Fecteau
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Salieri's Falstaff

Post by Chris Fecteau »

Seeking both piano vocal and orchestral scores for Salieri's Falstaff. If you have either, I'd appreciate an email at <removed>
Last edited by Choralia on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: email address removed
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: Salieri's Falstaff

Post by Choralia »

I've removed the personal email address as these forums are not intended to support the private exchanging of music scores. Should anybody have access to this work, please upload it to the IMSLP website so that everybody can benefit! :D

Max
Chris Fecteau

Post by Chris Fecteau »

Thanks much, all. CF
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I can't find a reference, on WorldCat at least, to any printed edition of the full score. OTOS did publish a vocal score in 1969, and there seem to have been several selections published in about 1799/1800, but otherwise you're probably just going to find manuscript facsimiles. The vocal score was edited (I assume arranged as well) by Eva Riccioli, for whom a cursory search did not reveal birth or death dates - this unfortunately makes it un-uploadable here. At least it appears to be available in a number of libraries.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

The Italian OPAC reports a printed version published around year 1800 (see this reference, in Italian), which includes 10 items (complete? Full score? I'm not sure).

Max
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

DERP!! *looking at screen*
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

If even a single selection from the opera was published in 1799, the legal doctrine of publication (USA) holds that whatever versions of the work were in existence on that date (including the full score and parts) were published simultaneously. This cheap parlor trick of folks claiming first publication for things is starting to see some cracks at last (the Montezuma case, for example). In Canada, you can't make such nonsensical claims unless the piece was never performed, recorded, broadcast or "delivered". The EU appears to be heading in a similar direction with the Montezuma case.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

interesting, though. I had gained the implication from earlier posts on similar subjects that I should specifically list what portion of a very large work (opera, e.g.) had been published at an early date (vocal score, libretto, e.g.) precisely because that wasn't the case, legally speaking, even in the US (or so I had thought).
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

There are a few publishers who try and play a game of what amounts to a perpetual copyright with large works such as this. The doctrine of "publication" is going to be different in different countries, but the notion of someone being able to claim a copyright on Salieri's work so many years after his death is at last meeting some real challenges. Canada sets the bar very high - so this would not qualify for their 50-year term due to the fact that it was performed - from a full score and parts. The EU seems to be moving to a more strict interpretation of editio princeps, and the doctrine of publication in the USA has been this way for a long time. It's one thing to claim a term of protection on a new edition, which is perfectly legitimate, and quite another to claim a copyright as if it were a new opera composed by John Adams.
snoopy99

Post by snoopy99 »

Chris Fecteau wrote:Seeking both piano vocal and orchestral scores for Salieri's Falstaff. If you have either, I'd appreciate an email at <removed>
Hi, I am looking for an orchestral score of this work also, did you manage to locate one please?

Thanks