sol fa notation of choral pieces

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

odamiezkoabena
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

sol fa notation of choral pieces

Post by odamiezkoabena »

To start with I would request the the sol fa notations for the choral pieces we have here. am very happy for the good works everyone is doin to keep the site active. I urgently need the sol fa notation of the coronation anthems by Handel, the king shall rejoice and Zadok the priest. If any can help I would b glad.

NOTE: as soon as possible :)
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: sol fa notation of choral pieces

Post by Choralia »

I'm not familiar with sol fa notation, however, if you are in a hurry and you need to quickly learn these choral pieces, you can get free training aids from my website, Choralia. The King shall rejoice and Zadok the priest are based on free editions available on CPDL.

Max
odamiezkoabena

Post by odamiezkoabena »

thanks choralia..
bt I was actually wishing samone just send the transcribed version of those coronation anthems. it would help choirs to easiy learn them.. not just me.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

odamiezkoabena wrote:I was actually wishing samone just send the transcribed version
I'm sorry, but private file sharing is not allowed here. If someone has them, they need to upload them so they go through the normal copyright review to see that they aren't illegal. Then they will be available to everyone depending on the copyright laws in the countries where they will be using them.
bsteltz
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

So what is "sol fa" notation?
jfarrington
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by jfarrington »

According to NG2:

A form of musical notation and the system of teaching sight-singing which depends upon it, both devised by John Curwen in mid-19th-century England. One of the few alternative forms of notation to achieve international use in modern times, Tonic Sol-fa had its origin in Guidonian solmization, depending like that system upon aural perception of relative pitch (see Solmization, §I), but incorporating many features adopted empirically from other sources. First designed as an aid to beginners, Tonic Sol-fa was mistakenly regarded by its extreme exponents late in the 19th century as superior to standard notation in its own right. Consequently distrusted and misunderstood by many professional musicians, the system passed through a more recent period of disfavour and neglect. It is now seen to offer distinct advantages when employed purely as an ancillary device in the early stages of learning to read from notes; and, particularly following its adoption in modified form by Zoltán Kodály for use in Hungarian schools, it is employed for that purpose today in many parts of the world (see Schools).

There is a lengthy article that follows the above introduction.

If you go to http://hdl.handle.net/1802/14369 you can see an example of the notation.
Jim
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Thanks, Jim. I've never seen that form of notation before.