Louise Farrenc Symphonies

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

yojimboken
regular poster

Louise Farrenc Symphonies

Post by yojimboken »

Has anyone seen the scores for any of the three Farrenc symphonies? They must be around somewhere, as all three have been recorded, but I can't find a source.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Re: Louise Farrenc Symphonies

Post by Notenschreiber »

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Eric »

they weren't published until quite recently, to my knowledge, so they won't be uploaded here unless this website's up for a -very- long time (or copyright law changes by a lot in a _most_ unexpected direction. Or the editors give us permission :) Or &c. &c. ... ... ... )
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Canada is pretty reasonable about this, actually. Nothing by a composer who died before 1949 is even eligible for Canada's 50-year version of editio princeps, and even those who died 1949 and later are only eligible if the item in question was never performed, recorded, broadcast or otherwise "delivered". Since most things were at least performed during a composer's lifetime, the issue is rare. In the few cases where something was not, the 50-year clock starts running with the first performance, recording, broadcast or 'delivery'. Louise Farrenc's manuscripts are all eligible for posting at IMSLP since she died in 1875.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Ah, neat. I think BNF has - undigitized- the manuscript of a movement, anyway, of her 3rd symphony, and I think it was performed during her lifetime even though it wasn't published, so the manuscript- though maybe not a modern typeset corrected edition thereof (hrm- I gather laws differ about copyright protection of editions- it's not anywhere near my area of expertise, anyway) - falls well well within Canadian public domain, though BNF may be unlikely to digitize their copy. (I wonder if the Canadian National Library has a digitization project for national heritage along the lines of what those of France, Italy, Denmark, and some other national / regional libraries in other countries are doing - even to some extent, even a large extent, the US Library of Congress, has been trying to do - that includes music? Hrm.!)

Ah here. http://www.worldcat.org/title/3e-sympho ... /658827072 - Farrenc, 3rd symphony, 1er (first version of) finale (manuscript, BNF).

And better still: http://know.freelibrary.org/vufind/Record/1479597 - Fleisher Collection copy, microfilm, 72 pp manuscript once in the possession of the Women's Philharmonic (I think), of the score of the 3rd symphony. There's something. Unfortunately, Fleisher Collection doesn't really loan out except in a very restricted fashion...
lc1958

Post by lc1958 »

Women's Philharmonic Advocacy would like to edit and publish Louise Farrenc's symphonies and we have copies of the manuscripts. Please contact at info@wophil.org or lcurtis.wophil@gmail.com. If we have volunteers we can make the project available freely. Learn more about us at www.wophil.org. Thank you very much, Liane Curtis
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

I hope someone will take a look at her fantasy-concerto (variations) for piano and orchestra (op.25, ms @ French National Library) too...

That said, the 3rd symphony at least was (first?) published in 1998. Syms 1&2 followed soon after I gather. Only 21 years having passed it may not be considered time that a new edition can be published...
lc1958

Post by lc1958 »

Wow, Eric, great to know about "fantasy-concerto (variations) for piano and orchestra (op.25, ms @ French National Library)"! Thank you!

I don't know much about copyright law outside of the US, but wouldn't the 3 symphonies be in the public domain?
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

check Carolus’ answer for Canada. Not sure about Europe.