Ludwig J. Bruhns, Second Piano parts to Czerny, Op. 740

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

jechaniz
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Ludwig J. Bruhns, Second Piano parts to Czerny, Op. 740

Post by jechaniz »

A knowledgeable official at the Eastman School's Sibley Library just suggested that I inquire of this website to request a digitized score for an item unavailable in their list of libraries. (I have looked for a nameless second part for Czerny Op. 740 off and on for years to no avail. To my sorrow, as a youngster and young teen I did not pay attention to the essential bibliographical details.) Recently, I found this reference on line: From The Musical Times for November 1, 1897, p. 791, under "New Foreign Publications":
"Ludwig J. Bruhns, Fifty Pieces for Pianoforte To be used as Second Pianoforte to Czerny Fingerfertigkeit Op. 740 in Six Books."
--to which my ESM contact added that they found a reference to this work and that it was published by Haslinger in the 19th century. The fact that it was "new" in 1897 should limit a search considerably.
Some of us of advancing age remember delightful sessions in our youth with teachers who would consent to play second parts to items we had practiced sufficiently. Such an experience with Czerny's Op. 740 is my happy memory. My teacher, Guy Bevier Williams, who before his retirement to California (where I knew him) had been the director of the now defunct Detroit Institute of Musical Art, would sometimes get out this book, and we would go at it! When Mr. Williams died in the mid-1950s, I believe his copy was given to a woman (whose name I do not know and who must have died by now) in the Midwest. There should be another copy Somewhere in the world! Here's hoping. It would be a shame if this pleasant incentive is lost forever. Perhaps a library in Germany--but I don't speak or write German.... Mr. Williams studied and performed in Germany around the turn of the 20th century. --Judy
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Ludwig J. Bruhns, Second Piano parts to Czerny, Op. 740

Post by kalliwoda »

see here at Berlin SBB
http://musikipac.staatsbibliothek-berli ... 1&cop=:osy

To inquire about scans send an email (in english) to musikabt@sbb.spk-berlin.de
(10 € for first 10 pages then 0.30 € per page)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Hofmeister lists it as published by Schlesinger rather than Haslinger in 1897. See

1897 May p.211

Hope that is of some help, anyways (or even better, that the response before mine makes this wholly unnecessary...)
music4all

Post by music4all »

There is a surviving copy of Czerny op. 740 for two pianos by J. Ludwig Bruhns, complete 6 volumes. This copy survives in Australia.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Any link for this?