Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Amatus2
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Francoeur Score

Post by Amatus2 »

Hello! :D

I am currently searching for François Francoeur's Score for "Simphonies pour le festin Royal de Monseigneur le comte D'Artois", which is a collection of 3 Suites in the French style. I couldn't find it anywhere, as it is not listed in OPAC and also at the BnF. I know of 2 orchestras who have done some very nice recordings, La symphonie du Marais and the ensemble Stradivaria https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLbNaKqLxfA (Wonderful recording!)

I did notice that the ouverture (From the link) is the same as the ouverture to Francoeur's Opera "Scanderberg", so maybe there is other recycling of his works in the suite collection...

I'm planning to do a new edition from the manuscript once I have time...

So if someone finds the score, please let me know, I'd be most grateful!! ;-)

Best Regards!!
Amatus

(For some reason my original post is not shown on the page, hence the repost...)
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Francoeur Score

Post by coulonnus »

http://bibliotheque.cmbv.fr/index.php?l ... y&id=12692 but despite their claiming Support=archives numériques I'm afraid you have to visit them to obtain a reproduction.
Amatus2
regular poster

Post by Amatus2 »

Thank you very much!
I wrote them directly to ask for a scan, I assume the score had to be digitized for the perusal in recordings done by the mentioned orchestras in the past...
I shall let you know what they respond.
Cheers
Amatus2
regular poster

Post by Amatus2 »

Finally, after some mail exchange with the CMBV I recently received the score!! The scan quality is ok but lost some quality due to grayscaling.

Only problem is, that many other composers contributed some pieces in the score (Rameau, Mondonville etc...). They are all referenced by name, but I don't know what to do with that exactly... I'll upload the whole collection of the 4 suites as one to Francoeur's composer page in due time and let an admin decide if it is necessary to link it to all the other mentioned composers.

I also startet typesetting one of the suites but noticed that the ouverture I mentioned being the one from scanderberg is orchestrated differently in the middle voice parts (Haut-Contre & Taille). In fact so different that one might take them for mistakes or wrongful orchestration (middle parts going higher than the melody line etc). I do not know if this will come along in other occasions throughout the suites; as normally I correct errors in manuscripts without further notice, and selectively marking my own corrections now would not be professional. Maybe there is a middle way for it without ending to be a huge critical edition, which I lack the experience (and frankly the patience) to do so... :|

Also, I think I will only include movements from Francoeurs own pen in the suites in my working edition, maybe add the other composer's addition separately as excerpts at another time...

Thanks again Coulonnus for the link!
Cheers!