Sort of random request, sorry (Paul Caro)

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Sort of random request, sorry (Paul Caro)

Post by Eric »

Put this on the wishlist ages ago but can't seem to find anything of his digitized, or at a library in the US from which I can interloan it without paying large amounts of money. Does anyone have any one- or two-page piano pieces (something simple, but enough to start a category- an Op.7 No.3 sort of thing, you know, that would then be included in an "Op.7" (I'm choosing numbers out of thin air) workpage as a No.3 four-equals-sign..) - that is, something not impossibly difficult to post or scan - and since his years were 1859-1914, copyright _shouldn't_ be a major issue anyway - by Paul Caro, to at least get his category started, and work from there?

I'm intrigued by the fair-number-of sonatas and string quartets and whatnot he wrote about which I know nothing, but in the meantime I'd like to see -something- on IMSLP by him- _something_, anyway :)...
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Sort of random request, sorry (Paul Caro)

Post by coulonnus »

In which country did Paul Caro live? This will give me hints about which library sites to search.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Brother of Carl Caro (there's a de-Wikipedia article about him) and like him (I assume but should check) born in what was then Breslau. German?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Thanks. And a few works titles would help me filtering the results.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Sorry, there are quite a few Quartett and Klavierstücke in the Pazdirek catalog. With Worldcat you can find where to consult them.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Apologies for forgetting about this topic for 6ish years.
Apparently ÖNB has (not yet digitized) about 50 works by him, chamber, operatic and otherwise, in their catalog, including "Hero und Leander", "Die Hochzeit zu Ulfosa", "Op. 2. Sonate (F-Dur) für Pianoforte u. Violine. Componirt und seinem verehrten Lehrer Herrn Professor [Anton?- my insertion] Door zugeeignet von Paul Caro. (Violine, Klavier.)", a manuscript Symphonie Es-dur, string quartets opp.6&7, cello sonata op.42 in D minor, and other works. (The op.42 sonata is also at BNF, at Herder-Institut and in NUKAT...)

BNF has some works by him including a piano sonata in B-flat minor published by Robitschek and an F-sharp minor piano sonata op.41 at Herder. A search at Herder-Institut's library catalog reveals a reasonable amount, mostly piano pieces and lieder, but also the op.19 string quartet in D minor and the vocal score to Hero und Leander, e.g.

NUKAT (Poland) lists one digitized work by Caro: Ein Ländler-Cyclus for piano, op.21 - Breslau: C. Becher (1898) and has about 20 items in their system not digitized. I should probably create the category (linking it to the wishlist), and a workpage for that. Will do soon!